HELP im having new doxie issues!!!!!

We have a APBT and doxie mix.... we just brought home a mini doxie who seems to be fine with our dogs but he did growl and snap... he only did it once to my pit but also when i was trying to play with him he got really irritated and tryed to do that to me... we also went to my dads where they also have a new pup which ours did not like... he tried to bite it... what do i do how do i correct this...he is only about 11 weeks .... our other dogs get along with all animals and people and i would like for this one to be the same and we have a 2.5 year old son that i dont want getting bit... any advice would be great...thanks

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 3:27 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Pets

• At that age I would give him a little time to adjust before pushing him too much. He may not have been very well socialized prior to coming home with you. His actions are the way he communicates to let others know he is overwhelmed and needs a little space. I would watch closely and see if the dogs can work it out on their own (not by fighting, but communicating in dog language). I recently got a puppy, he was 12 weeks when I brought him home. His reaction to other dogs worried me so I take him at least once per week to the dog park. On our second visit there he was being defensive and another dog persisted and he eventually began to wag his tail, followed by play bows. He just needed some time to adjust and read the other dogs. I give lots of encouragement and verbal praise when he plays. Keep in mind too, sometimes dog play can be misundertood by us humans. Biting is a very normal occurance in puppies of this age.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 4:48 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I'd give hime a bit more time to adjust.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:54 AM on May. 24, 2011