WHY?????

How is itnthat these days kids have no respect? They are selfish and inconsiderate to those around them. I do everything for them and still isn't good enough. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to buy them anything and make them clean the house. They don't see how hard it is to be a parent. To cook,clean,laundry etc. Anyone have any ideas before I have a breakdown??? Plz HELP!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• I seriously believe certain generations somehow skip manners. Not to offend anyone, but the generation after my parents, but before my time...some of them seriously skipped manners. I don't know how it happened. If you hold a door open for this age group it's like they feel entitled. There's no thank you....stuff like that. Anyway, I don't know why it happens. Some kids/people just have absolutely no respect. You can raise them the right way and they can still turn out to be jerks. Maybe you should do what you mentioned if they're of a certain age. Make them do chores to earn their own money for things. Quit being their maid. I hope you get a good solution to your issue.
    fricky29

Answer by fricky29 at 3:36 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Respect has to be taught, and you have to start very early. It's not just something that automatically happens. To be honest, a parent has to demand respect and never tolerate the lack of it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:32 PM on May. 23, 2011

• how old?
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 3:30 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I honestly do not know...but this is the stage I do not look forward to
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:55 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I think you need to teach them to respect you and you need to respect them. My kids started helping around the house from a young age. When they were little we would clean the play room together. As they got older I would ask them to clean it themselves and then back and check how they were doing. Now they are 14, 12 and 9 they have a list of chores and then if I ask them to do something extra they usually help. Sometimes they give me a hard time although not usually. I know it can be frustrating although I think you really have to teach them or they won't learn and they won't help you at all.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:36 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I did teach them respect but I don't want to be the mom my mother was. She was extremely mean. She tells my kids ur mom is not mean compared to the way I was. I descipline them and they think I being mean. I just want them to be respectful, and independent adults when they grow up. I do not want to see them struggle as hard as I had to.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:03 PM on May. 23, 2011