Liability Waiver for childcare in my home and legalities??

I was thinking of watching a few kids out of my home this summer. Only one or two...i think this is considered babysitting. Since I rent, is this allowed? Also, how about a liability waiver? Does this really prevent me from getting sued?

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 3:43 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• You can have people sign a liability waiver for your peace of mind, or to deter them from suing, but even with that waiver you can still be sued and the other person win. I have seen it many times. You would have to look at your lease or talk to your landlord about their wishes on whether it is allowed in your specific home or not.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:56 PM on May. 23, 2011

• even with a waiver they can still sue. you would want to check on child care liability insurance, but many homeowner carriers will actually drop your coverage if they find out you are operating a childcare in your home. I've worked with child care providers for a decade, I've heard it happening many times
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:54 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Check with your landlord first. Those are not your premises, it is the property owner's. A liability waiver will not prevent you from being sued.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:37 PM on May. 23, 2011

• You need to speak with an insurance agent

Answer by rkoloms at 6:56 PM on May. 23, 2011