Has anyone actually had their water break at the grocery store, work, etc? What did you do?

I am terrified, seriously terrified, that my water will break at work. I have nightmares about it, and have even told DH that when I get down to the last month I will carry a towel and extra pants with me everywhere I go. I wouldn't be too embarrased if my water broke at the grocery store or some place like that, but I work in a professional office, and I can just imagine being in the middle of televised hearing and have my water break. It would be posted on YouTube within minutes, and probably on the news that night. I plan to work up til 38 weeks.

Anyhow, for anyone who actually had their water break in public, what did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You're over thinking this and who cares anyway....
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:00 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Well, my water broke in bed, but it was a leak, so I thought I had peed the bed. We went out for a walk at the mall later (trying to encourage labor, and not realizing it was my WATER that was leaking, not urine!), so my shorts were soaked soon after arriving. All we could do was leave and dash home, because we didn't have anything else with us. I had to walk to our apartment with soaked shorts! I was mortified! LOL Looking back, though, since it WAS my water, it's not so bad. I can understand your fear, though. Very few women have their water break before they have contractions (about 15%), so more likely, you will contract long before your water breaks. The only reason my water broke when it did, I believe, is because my son was posterior (sunny side up), which greatly increases the chance of the water breaking before contractions start. I'm sure you'll be okay!! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:02 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Mine broke right when we walked into a store. It wasn't too bad, I was wearing light colored pants and you couldn't really tell unless you were staring at my pants. We just turned around and walked out. i thought it was funny, I laughed about it and SO was the one freaking out. My son thought I peed in my pants.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 4:02 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I would seriously be mortified if I was at work and someone had to come clean up with amneotic fluid off the floor! LOL

I wouldn't care if I was at the store, the people there don't know me (and like I said, its not like at work where a lot of the day is being televised!).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:06 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My friends broke while she was grocery shopping. She was actually way over due (43 weeks) she was quite embarrassed and asked a worker for a mop! Lol. They told her they would take care of it and she should head to the hospital. Beautiful baby girl 13 hours later. Try not to stress too much about it. My water never broke with my girls, doc had to break my water. Even if it does happen it is nothing you can control. Just smile and ask if someone can take you to the hospital :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:06 PM on May. 23, 2011

• my ex aunts water broke in the middle of the mall that was full of ppl..she said she was in so much pain the last thing she was thinking about was the mess she had made..she still had a 30min ride to the hospital! I dont think I would worry
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 4:11 PM on May. 23, 2011

• You know I have been thinking about this a lot lately too. This is my 3rd baby and I was never worried before but I am not. Not really worried I guess but just kind of nervous.

I have never worked during my other pregnancies but now I am a preschool teacher to 3 year olds. Sometimes it is really hard to get someone from the office to come to my classroom when I need them. I could just see my water breaking infront of 15, 3 year olds.

I would be trying to keep them from coming to the spot I was so they did not slip in it or GOD FORBID play in it because any type of liquid seems to be an instant go ahead to them to start splashing. LOL! Especially this little girl in my class who is special needs. I could just see the director explaining that one to her dad....OMG!

Most likely though if it did happen I would be wearing long pant since it will be winter when I deliver. Then most of the water would just get on those!
    Anonymous

• LOL...I was very nervous about having my water break in front of my classroom, but it has never happened. Someone told me that only about 20% of women have their water break on their own, and even then, its not the huge gush you would expect...that it is a trickle, and if you're standing up, your baby's head acts like a cork. I am on my 3rd pregnancy and I've never had it break on my own yet. I could care less if it happens at a grocery store, but I would hate it if it happened at work. When you get close, maybe wear a pad to catch the trickle and dark pants.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:21 PM on May. 23, 2011

• When mine broke it was just a small little trickle. I also thought I had peed a little until I saw that there was some blood in the fluid, and I was already at the hospital by that time. I guess I'm just telling you this because I don't think many people experience the great gush of fluid like they always show on tv or movies. Also, a lot of people have contractions well before their water breaks so you at least have some warning. So try not to worry. And if it does happen it might be mortifying at first but it will be a great labor story to share someday, and after the things that you go thru in labor your expectations of modesty and what is or isn't embarrassing may shift a little. Good luck, may your waters break privately in a slow trickle! :)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:23 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Mine had not...but a girl i worked with at Wal-mart actually did her labor went pretty fast...she was actually taking her pants off and everything in the front of the store waiting for the ambulance...it was crazy what instinct will make you do...but usually it's a trickle to start with so if it were to happen you would probably feel like you had just peed your pants and would know or at least suspect what was happening and excuse yourself.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 4:26 PM on May. 23, 2011