Siblings input with baby names?

i havent run into this myself yet (having just one child so far), but when you named your kids, did your other kids offer their choices?

when my mom was pregnant with my brother (and i was three), i wanted him to be named elmo if he was a boy and goldilocks if he was a girl. and when my mom was pregnant with my sister (i was five), i was certain she was a girl and her name should be sara lee :)

they turned out as an adam and hayley. it was probably for the best that my parents ignored my suggestions ;)

flamingomegs

Asked by flamingomegs at 4:02 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Baby Names

• We let DS (then 5) name the baby bump. He first suggested "Chuckie" as he was really into the Rugrats, but we told him it might be a girl instead of a boy, so he changed the bump's name to "Porkchop" after Doug's dog (from Doug). It worked out - he was Punkin as a bump, and DD is occasionally called "Porkchop" even now (she's 12.5).

As for letting him have input, we took suggestions, but that was all! If I had another one NOW (with an almost-19-year-old and a 12.5-year-old!), their suggestions would be taken a little more seriously, but Mom & Dad still call the shots!
    franknbellesmom

Answer by franknbellesmom at 10:05 AM on May. 24, 2011

• we asked our son the other day if he has a new bubba what he wanted to name him and he said choo choo train lol (good thing we like the name thomas)
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 4:14 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I wanted my sister to be named Harry Elizabeth Cow after the Mr. Rogers character who is actually called Harriet Elizabeth Cow. So, yeah, I would take kids' suggestions with a grain of salt.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:18 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Lol, my daughter wanted to name her baby sister cleadus (or however you would spell the name) we are naming her Ashlynn, but her input was cute :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:11 PM on May. 23, 2011

• We were told we were having a girl in ultrasound, but my dad asked my daughter the other day what we would name the baby if it was a boy, and her suggestion was "Tigger". Glad her input is limited and she is happy with Katherine for a girl. LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:13 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My little one informed me the other day that he wants a brother named Horse. Whenever we do have another child, I think his input will be very limited lol.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 4:18 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I wanted to name my little sister Kimmie. (She was born on my fifth birthday, so I was four when I came up with it.) My grandmother convinced me we should name her Megan Elizabeth. My parents didn't pay attention to either of us... her name is Jessica Victoria.
    mrsjon

Answer by mrsjon at 4:38 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My son wanted to name his brother Alex. That name is already in the family so we decided to pass. My older son STILL will tell people his brother's name is Alex when he is asked.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:09 PM on May. 23, 2011

• We asked a little bit with our last 2. I remember when my aunt & uncle adopted their 2nd child, they gave their older the choice - they picked 2 names (first & middle) and let him pick which name his new brother would have. I believe he was about 8 or 9 at the time.
    Anonymous

• If my son had his way our next kid would be named "Didi the Dino" or Ethan (that's his name...).

He can pick out kids' names when he is going to be a dad someday.

My husbands recommendation for his sister's name was "c-murder" (he was 16 when she was born...).
    Anonymous