I'm dating a guy who has 3 kids, 10 8 & 5. i have a 9mon old. we r getting serious & he wants me 2 meet the kids. idk how to handle this...

I know they will already dislike me not being their mom but I not trying 2 replace their mom either. I need some mega advice on this & what to do if we move in together.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• How long have you been dating?
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 4:07 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I dont think anyone should be introducing anyones kids until you have been together for atleast 1 yr. Have you been together that long? I say one yr because that is when the "honeymoon" period of a new relationship wears off and people start showing their true colors.

Answer by gemgem at 4:09 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Take things slow. If it were me I would think Dad should introduce you as his friend, and while the kids are around in the beginning I think you should refrain from being overly affectionate with each other- like you don't need to kiss and hold hands while the kids are watching because it will make them uncomfortable. No one wants to watch their parents make out, let alone their parent with a girlfriend or boyfriend. Otherwise, just try to talk to them like you would to the kids of a friend. Ask about school or sports or dance, whatever things they are interested in, try to do fun things with them if you can. Don't talk about the future or anything like that, just try to have fun in the moment and get to know them and let them get to know you. Try to plan activites at first to break the ice, like going bowling or playing board games for the night. And be nice to their dad in front of them and that should win you some points.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:10 PM on May. 23, 2011