Fish Killer

My ds is 4 and this morning he climbed onto the kitchen counter and proceeded to trash my fish tank, he put toys in it, dug up the gravel and plants, and permentently damaged at least one of the fish (she can't move one of her fins). This is not the first time he destroyed this tank, and I'm at a loss. I did punish him, and explained how he might have killed some of them. What would you do?

CoiaCuppcake

Asked by CoiaCuppcake at 4:09 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My nephew bit a fishes head off strait out of a fish tank once. We still haven't figured out what to do about it :/ here's a bump. Hopefully someone can answer your question.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:16 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Tough one...Try to develop his sense of empathy? He won't do it if he realizes he is truly hurting a living thing, but that compassion for other living things is still in development so getting the message across is a challenge. Perhaps watch finding nemo and talk about parts of the movie to convey your point. Tear his room up or toys up in a manner that will upset him to convey how the fish must feel to have their room destroyed. Make him put his arm in a makeshift sling (not to hurt or for too long) to show him how bad it must be to have one fin.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 10:34 AM on May. 24, 2011

• And this morning he killed another fish, trying to catch it in the net. This time i took away his dinosaurs, saying that if he was going to break my things i would take his things in payment. Maybe this will work.
    CoiaCuppcake

Comment by CoiaCuppcake (original poster) at 12:49 PM on May. 24, 2011