What would you do?

DD had a falling out with a friend. They did a school project as a group in class and it is saved on a flash drive. It was a group of 4 kids. All kids saved their work on the "friends" flash drive they are 17 yrs old. The "friend" that she had the falling out with turned in all the projects except my DDs. When the teacher asked the friend said she would not turn in the assignment until my DD apologized. My DD is being hard headed (I told her just to apologize and get it over with), she said they are both to blame so she did nothing wrong. Teacher said "he was apologizing for my DD", friend still would not turn in assignment. This is the final for the class. Teacher is giving DD a break, but I can't believe he let this all happen.

I tried to talk with the "friends" mom, that went no where. I am planning on going to the school tomorrow first thing. I can't believe the teacher didn't demand the "friend" hand over the assignment today with the others. There are witnesses that my DD did the work, but if the "friend" deletes" the assignment tonight she will be up a creek with out a paddle.

sipn_mom

Asked by sipn_mom at 4:12 PM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would handle it through the schools. I would call the mom one more time and let her know you are going to see the principal and asking for disciplinary measures against her dd if she does not hand over what is not hers to hold onto. That is stealing.

Answer by gemgem at 4:14 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Wow that is awful. I think the friends mom should make her turn in the assignment.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:15 PM on May. 23, 2011

• it sounds like everyone should of had their own flash drive. When I did group projects in school I always made sure I had a backup copy for myself mainly bc kids are punks and can cause total drama. If the kid erases the drive which I suspect she will maybe the teacher will grant your dd a little time to start over and complete the project. Or to make things even easier maybe you, your dd the other parent and child can all meet at the school appologies be exchanged and the work turned in?
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 4:18 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Your DD should apologize for her part in whatever the disagreement is, get her work handed in, and be done with the girl. This is a good lesson in being an adult. For one, she should have kept charge of her own work, and since she hasn't she now has to do what is necessary to get credit and move on. More importantly, sometimes we have to take our licks as adults. You may not agree with the cop who gave you a ticket, but eventually you need to pay the fine or you end up with a bench warrant or a suspended license. It's kind of the same thing here. I think your DD needs to be the bigger person and say she is sorry and get her work. The whole thing is very high school and ridiculous but turning it into an all out war with the teachers, parents, principal involved seems kind of silly. I understand the principal of not saying you're sorry when you don't feel you're wrong, but sometimes we have to suck it up. It's not worth it here.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:29 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I agree that she needs to apologize for her part whole heartedly, and she (my DD should have kept a copy of her own work ... hind sight is 20/20) I am still befuddled that the teacher asked the other student twice in front of the whole class to hand over the assignment and she flat out refused. I do feel that this needs to be addressed at some level with the school administration. ... is that wrong???
    sipn_mom

Comment by sipn_mom (original poster) at 6:25 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Direct defiance of a teacher warrants punishment. Period. Regardless of how your DD is handling it, the school needs to handle that part of it right away. And I also think your DD should apologize for whatever it is that happened if it was really her fault.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 6:40 PM on May. 23, 2011