Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I am looking into getting a divorce....

but i haven't a clue on the first step to go about it. Who should i talk to to get an idea on what i will have to go through? Help please!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (8)
  • It depends on your state. Some states require you be living apart 1 yr. In those cases you would file for a legal seperation and that handles custody and equitable distribution most of the time. Then when the 1 yr mark is up you file divorce and everything has already been handled as far as the messy stuff.

    Answer by gemgem at 4:21 PM on May. 23, 2011

  • Legal aid.

    Answer by booger14 at 4:24 PM on May. 23, 2011

  • Call a lawyer

    Answer by louise2 at 4:28 PM on May. 23, 2011

  • Because all states are a little different, why don't you talk to a friend or relative that's been through a divorce? You might also join a group on CafeMom. I joined "Soon to be or newly divorced moms". :) Lots of really cool moms with great advice there.

    Answer by AFairyTaleGirl at 4:30 PM on May. 23, 2011

  • call up a lawyer

    Answer by rhanford at 4:35 PM on May. 23, 2011

  • Is a consultation with a lawyer free?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:40 PM on May. 23, 2011

  • Many lawyers offer a free first time consultation. Call several and ask about it.

    Answer by whitepeppers at 5:32 PM on May. 23, 2011

  • Good Luck!!!!

    Answer by kgrine at 8:13 PM on May. 23, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.