Naughty 3 year old

My son has found some new bad habits that I haven't been able to control.

He is 3. He has been potty trained for almost a year. Recently, he has started peeing everywhere... Intentionally. He literally takes all his clothes off and pees on the floor, bed, table. And then puts his clothes on and asks for a towel to clean it up.

He has recently started writing on the walls.

There hasn't been any changes in his life that would cause regression. I've tried to punish him and he doesn't seem to be learning that these are unacceptable behaviors.

Any suggestions???

marybeth927

Asked by marybeth927 at 4:39 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do you mean you're wondering if he feels punished by not having milk, wheat, or eggs, and so he's punishing you back?

I doubt that is the case, but since it's a factor in the overall situation I would recommend doing what you can to cope with making fairly drastic changes in diet less like deprivation for him. (You may be on top of this! I'm just mentioning it.)

My thought went more to the possibility that this is completely about control, and if there's any retaliation going on it is about the punishments & consequences you're using. It sounds like a battle & he is not taking to it well. He is using the ammunition that he has at his disposal for countercontrol. He sounds like a very frustrated kid; this behavior is like a protest!

My recommendation would be to take away the struggle & the attempts to force change, step off that continuum. The thing with punishment is if kids don't respond, escalation is your only recourse.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:46 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Id tell him that's whats babies do and if he wants to act like that then all his big boy stuff can go to someone who is a big boy
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:43 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I don't know what to tell ya about that. Maybe if you make him do more than just wipe it up with a towel, like scrub it up with a scrub brush and pinesol that you prepare for him, and make him clean the makes off of the walls that he puts there. Make him use a dry washcloth to clean off the crayon if that is what he is writing with.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 4:44 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Already tried it. At first just making a threat, but when it didn't stop, I went to the store and bought diapers for him. He cries that he doesn't want to wear them, but there is no change. And I hate to actually put him back in a diaper. Most of his toys are currently boxed up. I didn't want to take everything away because I thought if he got bored it would encourage the coloring on walls. So his toys as of now are a train table and legos. Everything else is stored.
    marybeth927

Comment by marybeth927 (original poster) at 4:46 PM on May. 23, 2011

• You could try sticker rewards for all good behaior and then when he gets a certain amount he gets a treat like going for ice cream, some little dollar store item, etc. I never tried this but read it as a suggestion on here once. Just an idea.........
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 5:30 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I should post what I've tried. Time outs. Taken his toys away. Taken his tv time away. I made him spend the night at the babysitter that he doesn't like to go to because there are no kids. We've done a sticker chart with rewards. Trophys that he can hand in for a toy if he's good. I've made him scrub the walls, which he enjoyed.

And this all started after he was diagnosed with allergies, so I am not sure if he thinks he is being punished so he is punishing me?! He is allergic to milk, wheat, and eggs.
    marybeth927

Comment by marybeth927 (original poster) at 5:33 PM on May. 23, 2011

• So what do you suggest? I have tried punishments and rewards and neither seem to be working.
    marybeth927

Comment by marybeth927 (original poster) at 1:01 PM on May. 24, 2011