Sunscreen.. might be a stupid question.

Ok, I am WHITE. That doesn't do it justice. I am seriously the most fair-skinned person I know. If I go outside when its 65 degrees and the sun is out I will get fried. I have no choice but to wear sunscreen.

Now, my almost three year old is olive-complected (DH is Spanish). She barely even tans in 100 degree weather, has had never had a glimse of red (even when she's been out and about w/o me, and not gotten sunscreen). DH has told me since DD was tiny that she didn't need it because she won't burn.

So, here's the question: For mom's with darker skinned children, do they still wear sunscreen? Do they need to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Health

• she may not burn but she can still develop skin cancer!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:55 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I think there has been so much hype about using sunscreen that we have gone too far in avoiding the sun and now we have problems with vitamin d deficiency. The best way to get vitamin d is from sun exposure and the darker your skin the more time in the sun it takes. Now you don't want either you or your daughter to get a sunburn either but I would say that reasonable sun exposrue as long as she is not burning is fine. I grew up before there was such a thing as sunscreen and we all spent a lot more time outside than we do now,
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 5:00 PM on May. 23, 2011

• yes! She needs it! To prevent skin cancer!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:05 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Yes, her skin needs to be protected whenever she is out in the sun. You can ask doctor about the vitamin D issue but any sun damage will be deep in her skin.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 5:24 PM on May. 23, 2011

• no she does not need it! americans use more sunblock, spend less time in the sun and have more skin cancer than every body else! If i readily burned like you do, then i would look into getting some long sleeved light weight cotton shirts, like they wear in India, and Mexic/o, and a hat Look at the ingredients in your sunscreen, and then look up the ingredients here  http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

keep in mind the function of skin is to protect you. there are several layers. another function of the skin transporting things in and out of your body. sunblock can prevent things from exiting the body that need to, and can also allow the dangerous chemicals in the sunscreen in.

your body can't even make vitamin d without sun exposure, and people with skin cancer have very low levels of vitamin d.

happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:25 PM on May. 23, 2011

• It doesn't matter what color your skin is. You can burn.Some less than others but you can still burn. Even more important you can get skin cancer after years of being in the sun even without burning.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:24 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My Hispanic friend used sunscreen on her children. A full spectrum sunscreen. UVA burns UVB can cause cancer later in life. Even if they do not burn you should protect from the UVB rays.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:25 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Yes she still needs sunscreen. Anyone can get skin cancer so she needs to wear it daily.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 10:05 PM on May. 23, 2011

• the best way to avoid cancer is to live a better life. eat well, sleep well, exercise well, love well and play well!
    eat tons of veggies and avoid processed foods, and know what you are putting into and on your body!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:13 AM on May. 24, 2011