What exactly is Essure?

Was curious on what it is exactly. I looked it up, but wasn't getting a very clear answer as to what exactly it is.

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 5:00 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Health

• outpatient permanent birth control, basically they insert a "coil" into your fallopian tubes so that scar tissue grows around it
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 5:04 PM on May. 23, 2011

• uh oooooowwwwwww....
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 5:06 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Would you recommend it? Did you have it done? I was considering a tubal after giving birth to my little girl, but I had a mama suggest looking into Essure as well. I will talk to my doctor on wednesday about everything, just want to know all of my options.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 5:06 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I'm sure there are pros and cons to everything, the pro with this vs a tubal is it is outpatient, however if you are having a csection then it is probably just as "easy" to have a tubal
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 5:11 PM on May. 23, 2011

• The PP is right. They insert a coil into each of your fallopian tubes, and tissue grows around it to block off an egg from making it to your uterus to be fertilized. It is completely irreversable though, so make sure you're REALLY DONE. Also, there is a bit of a waiting period while the tissue grows, so you will have to use another birth control until your doctor re-checks and says that it has grown closed and you can trust it as your permanent birth control.

The benefit is that it is out patient and lower on complications. I think that when we are done for sure, my partner is having a vasectomy (mommy carried the babies, daddy can do the big snip snip LOL), but if we decide against it, our second choice would be Essure.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:14 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I had this done about 4 years ago. Loved it. Very easy to do, in the office, back to work the next day. It didn't hurt at all.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:09 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I had the Novasure procedure done. Have not had a period since. Guess it's been 5 yrs now. If you have heavy periods and lots of pain you should look into it.
    Link text
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:21 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I had it done. I LOVE it. It is the first and only sterilization technique (so when compared to a traditional tubal and vasectomy) that had ZERO pregnancies during clinical trials. They insert a metal coil into your fallopian tube. Then you wait 3 months for scar tissue to form and go back for a test.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:18 PM on May. 23, 2011

• They twist a metal spring into your fallopian tube - foreign material that some women have an allergic reaction to. It's one of the most horrible things you can cinsider doing to yourself. I've heard more horror stories about it on cafemom than I've heard good.
    Anonymous

• its a protein shake for weight gain or muscle gain or just to maintain weight an u can use it as a snack if you dont have time to eat
    aliciareichle

Answer by aliciareichle at 4:08 PM on May. 26, 2011