If you have a swingset/playset in your backyard...

What do you have below it? Grass? Natural or artificial (rubber) mulch? Gravel? Sand? Dirt? Something else?

We're working out landscaping our backyard, and I'd like to reserve one area for a new play set, and I'm not sure what the pros/cons are of each type of ground covering.

It will be set up in a shady part of the yard where the grass doesn't grow very well, so I'm trying to look at other options. I think I'd probably prefer to avoid using something like rubber mulch because it seems like it would be such a pain to get rid of after the kids get a little older we decide to do something else with that area.

Eek_a_Geek

Asked by Eek_a_Geek at 5:00 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• we have ours on grass. i don't like the sand because it gets everywhere and in their shoes/clothing..which comes into the house...
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:02 PM on May. 23, 2011

• We have gravel. The yard lays very wet and was the best option for us.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 5:03 PM on May. 23, 2011

• plain old grass
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 5:03 PM on May. 23, 2011

• We have grass and I hate it! We have to move the swingset to mow. When we decide to buy we want to do bark pieces. They are too big to go in kids' sandals, and big enough to see if tossed in the grass.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 5:03 PM on May. 23, 2011

• We have a play area in our backyard with mixed grounds. The playset - it's a wooden tower with a crossbeam for swings going off one way and monkey bars the other. We have wood much under the monkey bars and swings; we have sand at the base of the tower, under the slide and at the end of the slide, and under the rock wall and at the base.

The rest of the playyard is grassed. We do have to move the picnic table to mow, but the grass doesn't grow much under the trampoline, so we just weed wack around the edges every so often.

Mulch is pretty cheap, and we just add a few more bags every few years.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 5:18 PM on May. 23, 2011

• We have grass. When we move and have more room, we will probably "box off" the kids play area and put their sand box, swing set, and other equipment in some bark chips or mulch.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:19 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Grass is all we have under ours. My hubby built it so it is designed so that we can mow under it with no problems.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:22 PM on May. 23, 2011

• grass.. have no problem with mowing/weed eating around it.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:41 PM on May. 23, 2011

• We have it on grass. If it didn't take up over a third of our grassy area, I would have done pea gravel. The grass under the swings is now a dirty patch because of the kids grinding their feet on it. Sand gets everywhere, and the cats and other animals are more likely to poop in it. Mulch gets nasty, and if it is colored can stain their clothes or shoes. Most rubber mulch is made out of recycled tires, and can still have a bit of wires and lead in it, so I steered clear of that. Pea gravel was the next best, affordable thing.

I would have loved to do rubber mats, but those are super spendy.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 6:46 PM on May. 23, 2011

• When we had one, we just let the grass grow if it would. I personally wouldn't do gravel.....we had friends that had it and when their boys got more adventurous and started jumping out of the swings...one ended up with a gravel piece embedded in their shin. OUCH!

My favorite are the ones that are simple fine bark mulch as you can change the area from a kids swing set to an adult "porch" swing later down the road and it still looks okay.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:58 PM on May. 23, 2011