Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Is it considered kidnapping for a mother to take her child without telling her husband (child's father) that they are leaving or where they are going?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Relationships

Answers (11)
  • Depends on who has custody of the child?


    Answer by louise2 at 11:09 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

  • i would only think that if you moved really far away, idk maybe i watch too much lifetime tv

    Answer by americansugar80 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

  • Yes it is no matter who has custody. If he has been given his parental rights and is paying child support and is involved with the child.


    Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

  • We are currently married and living together, raising our child together. Things aren't so good with our marriage and last night while talking about it he made a comment that if I left I'd never see my kid again. He was angry and very serious and the comment scared me. I'm just thinking of possible options and the one that sticks out most in my mind is taking our daughter and leaving him.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

  • Yes it is.. no matter if he is paying child support or not. Child support is a different issue in child custody and has nothing to do with if you can take your child away from his father. Shame on YOU!!!!!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

  • The parents of the child should let the other one know where they are taking them. Mutual respect should be given.

    Answer by Pearl1963 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

  • if you feared for your life i would leave anyway but i would tell the local police your leaving him cause he is abusive and you want to be protected. i would maybe seek their advice first. they would have mercy on you. although the law is the law but i'm not sure if it's correct that it is kidnapping. seems to me that i would be able to move away and not worry about it. don't lots of people move away and take their kids with them. i guess if he reported you having kidnapped them then you could be in trouble.

    Answer by melody77 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

  • You CAN NOT leave the state with the children..People on here think that it is ok to do that but it is not..Yes it can be kidnapping... I said it CAN be kidnapping. Read up on it...Ask a lawyer..It is not in your best interest to leave the state that you are currently living in.

    Answer by Dannee at 12:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

  • In CA, it is. If it is not considered kidnapping in the state your in then when you get a divorce it will look bad on you and your husband could get custody because you have a history of taking off with your child and you can't be trusted. But, he is good with the child then you shouldn't leave with her because she is going to end up hating you for it. You have no right to take your husband's child, just like your husband has no right to take her. And if her found you he could wait for you to leave the child ANYWHERE including school and take her back, and there is nothing you can do about it. You should go about it the right way instead of trying to "get away with taking the child."

    Answer by matthewscandi at 12:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

  • It's the state line thing. When you cross state lines with a child with the intention of relocating or hiding your whereabouts from the spouse or other parent, then it's kidnapping all over America. Some states have more strict rules than that. But you can always cover your butt with a restraining order because he has threatened your future contact with your child already. The restraining order can be issued to cover both you and the child while you take other legal steps to ensure that you aren't the one left with no child and no idea where they are.

    Answer by jburg2541 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.