Is it harder having kids close in age?

I am 26 weeks pregnant with my second child. My Daughter is having her first birthday on December 14. When this baby is born (if on time) they will be 15 months apart. Everyone keeps telling me, "oh it is going to be so hard you are going to be so overwhelmed." Then I started to realize everyone who was telling me this don't have kids close in age, so I am asking you parents that do. Is it so awful to have two kids so close in age?

ReaRea19

Asked by ReaRea19 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had 3 children within a year and a half of each other, twins, I was prepared for an awful awful time but quite honestly I felt that I knew what was coming with the new babies as I'd just been through it all, and it was easier than I thought. I'm not saying it's easy but it's wonderful the older they get as well because they're so much closer and that! Good Luck :)
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 11:21 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My kids are 21 months apart, but it wasn't that hard, just double diaper duty. My cousins are 11 months apart and my aunt said it was like having twins but not that hard. I wouldn't worry to much You'll do fine. Good luck!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 11:23 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My youngest are 15 months apart. I have another child who is 5 yrs older than my girl and 6 yrs older than my baby. The small gap was easier in some ways and harder in others. I didn't think two in diapers was the bad part, changing 2 is just as easy as changing one. It was having kids that both were mobile and both needed supervision, when they were like 1&2. Once you get over that stage, it's no harder than any other age gap. I imagine the hard part is different for every mom depending on her kids' personalities and development. I wouldn't say it's harder or worse than a bigger age gap, just different challenges and benefits for all involved.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My 2 youngest are15 mo apart. Its stressful sometimes, but also fun. It was actually a bit easier at first...baby would sleep a lot. Now they are 2 & 3, and its more like a twin situation because they are getting on the same level now if you know what I mean. I didnt like having 2 in diapers that is for sure! My older kids are about 3 years apart each, so this was a different thing to deal with but I do enjoy them being close in age. One thing I read & think is true is the older one didnt remember being the "baby"..to her, the little sister has always exsisted because she doesnt remember it being any other way.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 11:39 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My babies are 4 year's apart, and it was harder with them. I think you really forget some of the small things that come with a newborn! Especially when people look at you like "You've done this before, what do you mean you don't remember?" We will just call that extended prego amnesia! :) You will do fine!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:44 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• my kids are 17 months apart and it great! Takes a while getting used to at first but not really a big deal, every family and every child has different needs though so there is no garantee how it will be for you. Good Luck!
    LoganAndKennedy

Answer by LoganAndKennedy at 11:46 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My boys are only 12 1/2 months apart and I love it. It was not that hard of a transition. You are already used to diapers, bottles, waking up in the middle of the night, car seats, and all that comes with a baby. All my friends who had kids far apart had a harder time with their second because they were used to an independent kid. You'll do great. If you have any questions you can message me. Are yours going to be same gender.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 12:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Mine are 17 months apart and I found out on my oldest's 1st bday that I was around 4 months along! It just takes aloooooottttt of patience. I have a really hard time with it sometimes and even call my mom or friends depending on how desperate I feel just to hear that I'm doing ok and it's not as bad as it seems after taking a minute to myself. First few weeks are verrrryyy hard esp. if you are breast feeding.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 4:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2008