Would you call CPS?

Okay..one of my neighbors house is disgusting. Dirty dishes piled in the sink and clutter all over the floor. She has a lo and one on the way. Would you call CPS on her? Also, what would happen. Would they take the kid right away or give them a time frame to have it cleaned by and then take them? Thanks!

Okay..here is more info..it's not just dirty dishes. These dishes are piled up so high and they have been there for days. My cousin and I did help her clean the kitchen and living room. We had it spotless. She barely helped us. I will not be doing it again. The kitchen table was spotless, the bar, stove and sink! Some of the sippy cups I had to throw out b/c it is moldy. You cannot see most of the floor in the living room again. I am really upset b/c I took time to help her get it spotless where she could manage it and she lets it get nasty again. Trash also gets piled up in the kitchen and then eventually taken outside to the front porch. It's disgusting. 

• She is just plain lazy. I don't want her kid taken away, but she needs a reality check. This is beyond just normal clutter. She doesn't clean at all! Nothing!
  • I have already helped her clean it spotless and tried to introduce her to Flylady, but she doesn't want to do anything with me. We are friends and I just don't know what else to do to open her eyes.

chrissi0103

Asked by chrissi0103 at 5:10 PM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Why would you waster CPS time on dirty dishes? They have real abuse and neglect cases to focus on.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 5:12 PM on May. 23, 2011

• unless it is always like that i wouldnt...they give them a time frame to get it cleaned up and then they check back every so often before they close the case
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 5:12 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I would try to find out if she would like your help getting things nice and clean.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:12 PM on May. 23, 2011

• They usually give them a chance to get their act together and clean, but I think eventually they get back to the same.......I don't think they would take her kids right away without giving her a chance to clean her act.

Answer by older at 5:13 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I always advocate for speaking for those who can't speak for themselves. Kids are rarely taken away unless cases of extreme abuse/neglect, they would give them a chance to clean up first.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 5:13 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I would not jump on the cps bandwagon. I would go over and try to help her out. She is probably overwhelmed and doesn't know how to be a good housekeeper.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:13 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I would, you could at least call someone to do a welfare check. I think they'd give them time to improve the conditions before removing the child, unless it was really bad.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 5:13 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Gosh I hope not.. I have a three year old and another on the way.. My dishes pile up sometimes and I've had clutter all over my floor for about a month!

IDK what CPS would do in a situation like that. I assume they would do an in-home evaluation of some sort to determine if there is actually a reason to take the child. (Like, in my case we have clutter all over the floor from recently moving in and rearraging rooms to prepare for new baby. Nothing unsafe is left out for 3 y/o to play with. Dishes pile up because my dish washer is broken, I am on bed rest and DH is too lazy to wash them!) :-)
    Anonymous

• Okay..here is more info..it's not just dirty dishes. These dishes are piled up so high and they have been there for days. My cousin and I did help her clean the kitchen and living room. We had it spotless. She barely helped us. I will not be doing it again. The kitchen table was spotless, the bar, stove and sink! Some of the sippy cups I had to throw out b/c it is moldy. You cannot see most of the floor in the living room again. I am really upset b/c I took time to help her get it spotless where she could manage it and she lets it get nasty again. Trash also gets piled up in the kitchen and then eventually taken outside to the front porch. It's disgusting.
    chrissi0103

Comment by chrissi0103 (original poster) at 5:16 PM on May. 23, 2011

• No I wouldnt call. What a waste of resources! CPS workers are already over worked and have too many cases and its cases like the one you are describing that takes away from a child who may actually be in danger. I would instead walk over and get to know her and see if maybe she is overwhelmed and needs help.

Answer by gemgem at 5:16 PM on May. 23, 2011