My 26 month old daughter still nursing...advice needed on how to stop...

Hi! I was hoping there would be someone who has been through this before, so I could learn from your experience. My two boys weened themselves and I never had to worry. But my daughter still enjoys it for naptime, bedtime and when she wakes up in the morning (nice for me because she will go back to sleep a lot of the time!) I always thought that when the child ws old enough to ask for the breast, that is waaay too long! And now I'm one of "those" moms!! :). So, could you please help me decide which is best...cold turkey or taking one session at a time away gradually until she's fully weened. I have been telling her that mommy's milk will run out soon but who knows if she fully understands that! Ok, thank you for reading this and in advance for your help!! :)

lynnz

Asked by lynnz at 5:43 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids weaned themselves at 9 months old, so I MAY not be the best advice here. But, my logic says wean gently, taking away one nursing at at time, with a week or so (whatever YOU feel best) in between removal of nursing session.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:00 PM on May. 23, 2011

• i would do it gradually. one session at a time
    Ronnies_Girl

Answer by Ronnies_Girl at 6:00 PM on May. 23, 2011

• gradually...
    that is what i did with my dd at 20mo (i regret it now & will go atleast to 2yo next time lol)
    I started with which ever i thought was the easiest & I could distract her with something else -- sippy cup, cartoons, toys..
    It tooks me 2 months to slowly wean..but it could be done faster. I was just stretching it out haha.
    depending on how long ur wanting it to be drop 1 feeding a week.
    The last feeding i dropped was bedtime. She didnt give me any problems by then. its like she "got it" and knew the first wasnt worth it, or maybe she was ready herself.
    good luck! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:48 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I turned into one of "those" moms too, lol. My daughter self weened no problem at 13 months, then along came my son, he just never wanted to stop! I could NOT do it cold turkey. He loved it so much. I was at my witts end because everyone in my life thought it was insane that I was still nursing him, thankfully my husband was totally supportive, but no one else. It turned into my dirty little secret. I finally did more research and even called the La Leche League for guidance. Any person I talked to who is very knowledgable about BFing told me to relax and let nature take its course.

Eventually I told him he could only nurse at night time, and he handled that pretty well...although some nights he'd tell me he wanted to go to bed at 5pm, lol, but it was easy to distract him at that point. Then slowly but surely we'd go a night with no nursing here and there, until finally that was that. Cont....
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:04 PM on May. 23, 2011

• What you should think about is why you want to stop. Is it because you are programmed to believe that she's too old for it or is it because you want your body back or some other reason?

Keep in mind that there is not one single thing wrong with extended breastfeeding, and if you are both still ok with it, like you said, you get more sleep in the morning, etc., don't worry about it so much. I spent so much time worried about it, so silly, it all worked out just fine and it will for you too. There is ZERO negative health benefit to extended bfing...its all good. GL
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:11 PM on May. 23, 2011