Is there such a thing as being allergic to mosquitos?

My 3 year old went outside to play all day yesterday, I gave her a bath before bed and didn't notice any mosquito bites on her at all. She woke up this morning and had 15 HUGE bumps on her body. Looks like mosquito bites, but they are the size of quarters. They itch like crazy ( as a mosquito bite would) and I don't know what to do about them. Anyone else have this happen to their child? I am considering taking her into her doctor.

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 6:22 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What can I do for them besides give her benedryl? (Which I have done) my nephew does the same thing with mosquito bites.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 6:23 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I would take her to the doctor. I would also check her bed for any kind of bug. If they showed up during the night, that would be my first worry.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:24 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I should have mentioned that. I checked her bed and washed her sheets and blanket today. The mosquitoes are awful here. You can't even walk through the door without one of those little pests flying in. I am living in Michigan right now.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 6:26 PM on May. 23, 2011

• it is possible.. my mom runs a daycare and one of our 4 years old is allergic to mosquito bites and they get big too about the size of a quarter
    mommy2be2o11

Answer by mommy2be2o11 at 6:27 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Sometimes the bumps don't show up right away. Everyone has SOME sort of reaction to mosquito saliva. just keep them covered in itch cream and try to keep her from scratching

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:27 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Yes, I am allergic to them. If I get bitten I break out in hives and blood stars coming out of the bite and gets swollen right away and I do take Benadryl and usually that works. And I bathe myself in OFF during the summertime basically.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 6:28 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I would take her to the doc. My oldest son would get mosquito bites that would swell up pretty big. The doc said they were probably fine as long as they were not hot to the touch and larger than a golf ball in diameter. He also said to watch for any red streaks, which would be a sign of infection.

In your case, I would still call the doc to be safe.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:28 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Is there an "off" for children or that is safer for children? I guess I have never had to worry about this before.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 6:30 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Are you sure they are bites and not hives?

In either case, I would make a doc appt, or call to get instruction.

We have a lot of insect allergies in my family, and each doc seems to have a different mathod for dealing with the allergies.

Good luck mama.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:33 PM on May. 23, 2011

• well i wouldn't say "allergic" BUT, she certainly can be extra sensitive to mosquitoes. if she were truly allergic, it would be much worse.

My DD and i are both sensitive to mosquitoes. Not only to they eat us up like crazy, but the bites welt up to sometimes 2-3" across in diameter, much bigger than a quarter...even a 1/2 dollar.

if they are lined up in a row, it could be bed bugs. They eat & then go hide, you still might not find them even if you cleaned her sheets.

There is a chance that some mosquitoes got in your house & ate her alive while she slept, that has happened to me before. One mosquito can bite you more than once. Also, young mosquitoes pack more of a punch. Their venom is stronger than older ones.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:34 PM on May. 23, 2011