A child free weekend?

I've only once spent a night away from my kids (I was at my BFF's kids were with dad at HIS BFF's house), other then when I was in the hospital having my second. There may have been a few instances where I got home after bedtime, and was gone before they woke up, but I've never really had a weekend where I can stay up late or go to bed early, sleep until whenever I desire, and spend quality time with my husband. I've been mentioning it just a few times to DH, but the more I think about this, the more I want to do it. Child care would not be an issue. Money is a slight issue, but we CAN do it if we cut corners elsewhere for a little bit. Have you done this, how old were your kids when you did, and any ideas on how to convince DH it's necessary? Because it IS necessary for my sanity and our marriage.

Krysta622

Asked by Krysta622 at 6:26 PM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• I never had a break tell my kids where in full time school. I would have the school time to myself.

Answer by louise2 at 6:33 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I have my oldest in school, but my 3 yr old son is still home with me or DH (sometimes both of us), depending on which one of us is off. I can get some time to MYSELF if I want, occasionally, and even an evening out with DH, but I am really wanting to go away for a weekend with JUST him.
    Krysta622

Comment by Krysta622 (original poster) at 6:38 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Explain it to him just as you explained it to us -- maybe wear a sexy teddy though with him :-)
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 6:38 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Oh yes, we have child free weekends at least 2xs a year. My kids are 3 and 5, the 1st time I did it was when I was pregnant w/the 3 year old and my son was almost 2. and we have done it twice a year since. I think we need it, it is good for us just to spend time being "US" not mom and dad. We are always happier and better parents when we come back. I say go for it!
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:23 PM on May. 23, 2011

*****

same here...and when hubby had a weekday off- we would go to lunch or whatever while they were at school-it was the only sitter we have ever had
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:34 PM on May. 23, 2011

• my kids use to go with their father every other weekend. I use to really miss the kids, but he has not seen them in over two years. I do miss my weekends alone. Everyone needs alone time. But I would not put my family in a fanically bind to get it. maybe find another couple and you could each watch each other kids, switch off weekends so each couple could have some alone time.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:58 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Childcare would not cost us anything. Just gotta save a little for the cost of wherever we go.
    Krysta622

Comment by Krysta622 (original poster) at 10:03 PM on May. 23, 2011