How Long Should a Woman Breastfeed?

I would like to know what other moms feel is the appropriate age at which a child should no longer be breastfed. I know of one person who was still breastfeeding when her son was two years old, and another mother who breastfed until her daughter was three. To me this is shocking. Is this normal? And do you think the child's gender is a factor in determining maximum breastfeeding age?

ilovepoms

Asked by ilovepoms at 6:31 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I'd say as long as the woman wants to, I guess. I wanted to BF for 2 years but it didn't work out that way for us. I personally wouldn't want to BF past 2 yrs.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 6:33 PM on May. 23, 2011

• my first thought was "until she's no longer hungry.'' ..but how long she bfs her baby is a personal decision. for me, it just wasn't convenient to continue longer than i did. i was working fulltime in a salon with a solidly booked appointment book..no time to dodge out to pee, much less pump breast milk!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:33 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Personally I think 1, 1 and a half. It's so disturbing to me to see kids just walk up the mom and ask for the boob or pull down the shirt. I think once they have a full set of teeth then the boob should be put away.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 6:36 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My son weaned himself around the age of 2. I had it easy. :-)
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 6:36 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I think age 4 is tops...
    We stopped at 20months..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:38 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My opinion,,,1 year old at the oldest.

Answer by louise2 at 6:38 PM on May. 23, 2011

• For as long as both mother and child wish to.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:39 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I would have gone to the age of 1.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 6:40 PM on May. 23, 2011

• However long the mommy is comfortable with I Will EBF for as LONG as possible and switch to pumping SADLEY when i have to return to work :.(

kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 6:49 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I think its up to the mom and baby. I think our country needs to wise up and see that nursing to 3 and even beyond is something to be celebrated as opposed to being shocked by it...nursing for a short time should not be the norm.
    Anonymous