How can i make crafts out of everyday items

i want to make some crafts with my kids, we don't have a lot of money so i was wondering if anyone had any craft ideas that use things around the house like...recycled water bottles, or toilet paper/paper towel rolls or anything like that...any suggestions? thanks

please no rude replys

lvmy3lilones

Asked by lvmy3lilones at 6:34 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• if you Google ideas and tutorials for "upcycling crafts" you should find lots of ideas :)
    Neelah

Answer by Neelah at 7:21 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Around the holidays, like easter, I make alot of cupcakes. I end up being left with so many frosting plastic cans. What I do is wash the cans and when they are dried I allow my kids to decorate the cans. They can put stickers or paint the cans, let their imagination run wild. After the project is done my kids can do as they wish with the cans. For example, on easter I put all the left over candy in the cans, oh and my kids put beans in them and they were like rattles. You can even use it as a small little flower pot.
    styhmMommy

Answer by styhmMommy at 6:42 PM on May. 23, 2011

• toilet paper/paper towel rolls make great telescopes (just use paper, stickers, paint, glitter, etc. to decorate and pretend) you can also use them with some clear plastic & colored rice or beans to make colladiscopes (sp?)- you'd have to google directions for that one. You can do science experiments using water bottles, food coloring and dish liquid (tornados). Use water bottles and fill with colored sand. Water bottles can be painted and made into cute little animals (think pig, cow, sheep-add cotton balls for that one) then cut a slit into the back for piggy banks. Glass jars can be made into potpourri warmers by adding potpourri, mini Christmas lights, and covering with tulle. Cereral boxes can be cut in half, decorated, add a yarn handle and voila a purse! String macaroni and paint for necklaces and bracelets....the list goes on and on.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 6:49 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Old plastic bottles and torn pieces of masking tape, cover bottle and use a marker or paints to color. Can cut hole for piggy bank. The next one is messy but very fun. Paper mache' blow up a balloon, mix flour and water into a paste, dip torn pieces of newspaper and layer on the balloon ( cover with a few layers) if you tear into smaller sized pieces it will occupy more time, leaving the tied portion out. Let dry ( overnight) then pop balloon and pull out through hole ( you can mix color in with paste or deorate after they dry.) ... get an oragami book and let them try it, pick flowers and leaves- flatten them in books, make a plant book together when they are done. Make homemade playdough- google recipe- , macaroni art ( jewelry or on paper) , colored corn art.. my sweetie just added, lanscaping, yardwork and if they are old enough to hammer build an addition ( gotta love men :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 6:59 PM on May. 23, 2011