Whats the difference between watch and warning??

i am currently under a tornado watch. this is my first time going through one alone.

Ronnies_Girl

Asked by Ronnies_Girl at 6:41 PM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Watch is watching for one. Warning is someone has seen a tornado on the ground.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 6:42 PM on May. 23, 2011

• If i remember correctly, A watch means that conditions are right for a tornado to form, but no funnel clouds have been spotted. A warning is more severe meaning a tornado and or funnel cloud has been spotted somewhere in the storm cell.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 6:43 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I just asked this question last nite: http://www.cafemom.com/answers/850146/Difference_between_tornado_watch_warning_Which_is_worse

I got some good answers.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 6:45 PM on May. 23, 2011

• thanks everyone!
    Ronnies_Girl

Comment by Ronnies_Girl (original poster) at 6:47 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I feel ya though, we are under a severe thunderstorm warning right now. But I just heard my phone go off (i get texts from the news about severe weather) so it might be a tornado warning by now. I'm so sick of this weather!!
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 6:48 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Watch means conditions are favorable for bad weather. Warning means it has been spotted or it going to happen. FYI just because there is a tornado warning does not mean it's coming your way. If you're like us here in Missouri, they sound the sirens if there was a tornado, or funnel spotted anywhere in the county. You need to carefully watch your local news to see where it is headed. For instance, our sirens were sounded just an hour ago, but the funnel was located north of me. I still prepared my little area, but I knew it wasn't headed for my home. Be prepared, always.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:49 PM on May. 23, 2011

• i dont have tv :( its hard for me to know whats going on...
    Ronnies_Girl

Comment by Ronnies_Girl (original poster) at 6:51 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Astraea is the most correct

A watch is when conditions are right for a tornado (or other weather event) to form, but it has not formed yet. (the thunderstorm could even be JUST developing)
    A warning is when rotation has been spotted on radar (or even on the ground, but usually these are issued by what radar says). That rotation might or might not actually turn into a tornado. It could just stay in the cloud formations of the storm cell.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:51 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Do you have a cell phone with downloadable apps? like an android or iphone? I have The Weather Bug app on my phone and it alerts me to weather conditions, you can check the radar also. Or look on your local news website, most of ours stream live weather reports during bad weather.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 7:00 PM on May. 23, 2011

• i have a blackberry and just went to weather.com after reading you previous comment and their app. it makes me feel better knowing i have it now.
    Ronnies_Girl

Comment by Ronnies_Girl (original poster) at 7:08 PM on May. 23, 2011