How do i get my seven year old son with autism to stop cleaning everyones i know house?

kimberlyg4

Asked by kimberlyg4 at 6:42 PM on May. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just because most people hate to clean, doesn't mean he does. Have you ever asked him if he enjoys it? Cleaning might be fun to him. And he may not need the sleep. My son doesn't sleep very much either. So you may find that even if you find him another hobby to replace his habit, he will keep his sleep patterns.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 7:24 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Could you elaborate a bit more. Couldn't understand your question.
    Anonymous

• You probably can't. I don't know everything about autism, but my son has aspergers, which is the social form of autism. Change is very, very hard for him. I don't even try anymore. I think you'll have to stop taking him places or accept that he likes places very clean. Offer an explanation and leave it alone.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 6:50 PM on May. 23, 2011

• is he high functioing? My son is high functioning and turning 7 in July. I could just sit and explain to him why we don't do that and then I would have to give him reminders each time he began to do it, until the habit stopped. My other suggestion would be to have something that can occupy him so he doesn't have an interest in how clean someone else's house is. Maybe a handheld video game or portable tv. Otherwise, I agree that you either just accept or don't take him to those places. :(
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 6:58 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I take him to my familys houses all he wants to do is clean.he spent the night with my mom last night he had a broom in his hands until mid night and was back at it at five am.he loves useing bleach doing dishes wipeing tables moping its driveing me crazy.he is always asking for cleaning supplys.I just want him to enjoy his summer with out all the cleaning.
    kimberlyg4

Comment by kimberlyg4 (original poster) at 6:59 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I'd let him do it! I wish my autistic son was clean,mine's a slob!
    Unless he's cleaning stranger's homes,what's the harm?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:02 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I dont find it a bad thing he just dont get much sleep because of doing all the cleaning.I also have three other kids ages 6,10,n 11 who dont clean at all.its just upseting to see him always cleaning when all the other kids are enjoying their time.thanks everyone for your help.
    kimberlyg4

Comment by kimberlyg4 (original poster) at 7:12 PM on May. 23, 2011