Toddler leashes

My little boy is almost walking and he loves to wander and pull things off shelves,including at the grocery store and he hasn't tolerated the Moby since he was six months. But there is just this little part of me that doesn't like the idea of putting him on a leash.

If you had an adventurous,wondering,climbing everything type of child would you get one?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 7:06 PM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• I got one for my niece and we would only use it when we were taking her busy places to hard and she wants to run everywhere
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 7:08 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I don't have one but I see no problem with parents who get them as long as they aren't pulling their child along. It keeps little ones close by just like putting them in a stroller except the can walk around.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 7:10 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Just don't be this person lol

Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 7:13 PM on May. 23, 2011

• omg! was she actually pulling him? Or was she standing with him playing on the floor?
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 7:14 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I did and it was a lifesaver, especially at malls and big stores like Sam's Club. It only takes a second for a child to break free and get away, and it is not worth them getting hurt, or worse, taken. Target and Wal-Mart sell really cute ones that look like animals.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:15 PM on May. 23, 2011

• No I would never. My child is not an animal and he either holds my hand or stands in back of the stroller. Ever since he started walking he has held our hands.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 7:20 PM on May. 23, 2011

• @Brandi300 - not sure if she was actually dragging him, but the person who posted it said she was. lol

Leashes can be a good thing, but don't rely completely on it you still have to keep an eye on the kid. It wont stop them from pulling things off shelves and what not. It just keeps them from bolting.
    My mom had to use a leash for one of my brothers he was quick to disappear in a store and it made it a lot easier on her.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 7:23 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I dont think the lady was dragging the kid.. he is obviously playing on the floor and probably wants the mom to drag him.

I had one for my daughter and I felt safer with it on especially when we went to the mall and parks like disney. I stopped using it when she was 2.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 7:29 PM on May. 23, 2011

• i have 2 crazy stubborn kids that like to do things on their own...especially dd. oh boy is she ms. independent. if i even put her in the car, she has to get out so she can do it "all by herself". she wants to go out on her own, do things...ggrr sometimes it's aggravating. but i don't put her on a leash. she holds my hand. she tries to break free sometimes, but i hold onto her hand tight.

how we do it at the store, the buggy is time out. they don't want to listen and stay close to mommy and/or hold the buggy, they have to go IN the cart. ds has been walking around since 16 months. dd was closer to 2, since she had some physical problems and didn't start walking until 19 months.

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:30 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Yes, I would get one if I had little ones still. I was in a store when a child got lost once. Very scary. Some leash type things are really cute and give mom ease of mind and the child a little freedom.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:32 PM on May. 23, 2011