Do you ever wish your kids would just "Go the _____ to sleep!"

Mansbach’s book: “Go the ---- To Sleep,” (Akashic Books, June 2011) is satire with words (and illustrations by Richard Cortes) that mimic the soaring imagery of many bedtime favorites. Except for the last line of each verse. They mimic what most sleep-deprived parents are truly thinking while they plod through the pages.

Here’s an example:

The windows are dark in the town, child

The whales huddle down in the deep.

I’ll read one very last book if you swear

You’ll go the [expletive] to sleep.

The book was originally scheduled to be published this October with a run of 10,000 copies. So much buzz built in recent days — from word-of-mouth and from an unauthorized pdf that’s been forwarded online repeatedly — that pre-orders began pushing it up the Amazon best-seller list until it reached the very top.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:08 PM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Heard about this, I do think that they should make it clear that it's meant to be for the parents and not an actual bedtime story for children. I've heard that people are getting worked up b/c they thought it was for kids.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:34 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I have never really had a problem with my kids going to sleep, but I know people who have and I am sure it's a story they will appreciate
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:17 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I saw the PDF version, it was amusing...there were many nights where I had thought the same thing. :)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 8:51 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I think it will be my new gift when someone gets pregnant.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:57 PM on May. 23, 2011

• It's a really funny book and a great gift for new parents that have a sense if humor.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:08 PM on May. 23, 2011