Should I or how would I get more meds?

Last week my 11 month old had an ear infection and was given 2 antibiotics. One taken orally and one that were in the form of ear drops. I'm supposed to give it to her twice a day for 10 days.

Around day 3 as I was measuring the oral medicine, the bottle tipped over and some spilled out. The bottle looked like not too much had spilled so I decided to continue to use it and see if I could complete her dosage without having to get more. I was thinking sometimes it comes with a little extra.

Well I just gave her the last of it today and she still has one more day to take it. Should I call the doctor for more? Or let it go considering she got 90% of the treatment and will get 100% of the other medicine that's in the form of ear drops? We have an appointment next week to see if the infection will be gone or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd just wait until your appointment next week. Chances are if it hasn't cleared up in 9 days it wouldn't be cleared up in 10. If it's not healed the next time you go in they will probably prescribe a different antibiotic anyway, at least they always did to us or you can call your office or pharmacy and ask them as to what to do
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:23 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I'd just wait until your appointment next week. Chances are if it hasn't cleared up in 9 days it wouldn't be cleared up in 10. If it's not healed the next time you go in they will probably prescribe a different antibiotic anyway, at least they always did to us.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 7:19 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Call and ask what you should do. It's usually recommended to completely finish the course of antibiotics.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:41 PM on May. 23, 2011

• call the pharmacy and explain, see if they will just give you more... I think they might... not for free, but without needing a new prescription. If they so no then call your pediatrician and see.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:28 PM on May. 23, 2011