My 2 year old keeps late hours. How do I change that?

My 2 year old currently wakes around 10 or 11am. She naps from 3pm to 6pm. And goes to bed around midnight. We do this because my husband works late and like for her to be awake when get gets home. She will be starting preschool in the fall so we want her to start going to bed and waking up earlier. What do you recommend?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 7:24 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would try adjusting bed time down by 10-15 min every other day to make it less obvious. Do the same thing with nap and wake up times. I would also check with the preschool about what time they do nap/rest time so you have a goal to work towards with that.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:45 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Don't let her nap so long. I never liked waking a sleeping baby but in this case I would not let her nap longer than two hours. And make bedtime ealier by half an hour at a time. If all this fails wake her up in the morning too.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:29 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I would try to get her up a little earlier, gradually working up to whatever time you think is right. I would say around 7 or 8 but thats just what works for us. Maybe shorten or make the nap earlier in the day and gradually move the bedtime up. Keep a regular bedtime routine, like bath, maybe some cuddle time watching TV, then story and bed.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 7:40 PM on May. 23, 2011

• We had, and actually still have, the same trouble, and my son is in K. You just need to try your best to get her to bed earlier and earlier and wake her earlier and earlier, even on weekends, because once you slip, it messes up the whole routine again. You need to start now because it will take a long time for everyone to get adjusted.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:26 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I think you'll need to do it gradually....starting by putting her to bed earlier by 1/2 an hour then the next week by one hour and so on. I would also shorten the nap and try to put her down for the nap a little earlier.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:29 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My son likes his sleep also, up until he was about 18 months his sleep schedule was about the same except that he would also go to bed earlier (10ish). He is now 2 and he gets up at 8-9, naps from 3-5, and goes to bed at 9. What changed for us is we moved him to a full sized bed and out of the crib. Does your daughter still sleep in the crib? If so I would suggest moving her to a bed but otherwise you are going to have to wake her up earlier in the morning... or skip naptime.
    lisalmeyer86

Answer by lisalmeyer86 at 12:34 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Cut the nap for sure and wake him 30 min earlier each day. Then put him to bed when he gets tired or fussy because he is sleeping less.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:56 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Bedtime should be no later than 8pm...and wake up time no later than 8am. Your child's sleep schedule is really bad right now. No kid should be up until midnight. Can you son spend time with daddy in the mornings before he goes to work? I would start waking him up 30 minutes earlier every few days until you've reached 8am. The same with bedtime, except that you're bumping his bedtime up by 30 minutes until you've reached 8pm.
    Anonymous