Natural Tick repellent?

We live in BFE on a farm and the ticks this year have taken over. I find them on the kids daily. Does anyone know of a child/pet friendly tick repellent for either person use, or as a treatment on the lawn? I'd really prefer natural/home-made, do it yourself, stuff if anyone knows of something that will work.

Kimedbs

Asked by Kimedbs at 7:39 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• A natural tick repellent we use is a mixture of 2 tbsps of vegetable oil, 25 drops ofrose geranium essential oil,25 drops of lavender essential oil and 1 tbsp of aloe vera gel. You can buy the essential oils in a health food store. I found this from googling it one day. It works. All you have to do is put it on your kiddos before they go out. Ticks dont like the smell of it, and wont latch on.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 8:34 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I know that eucalyptus and wintergreen/peppermint essence oils work for fleas, idk about ticks, but u could try.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 7:45 PM on May. 23, 2011

• If you have chickens, you should not have ticks. Go get some chickens for your farm and let them free range if possible.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:51 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Here's a bump for ya!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 8:04 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I have never had a tick problem. We use citronella for mosquitoes and chiggers, but I don't know about ticks. When all else fails, Google it. ;)
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 4:08 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I only have a natrual flea collar type thing but not ticks. Sorry.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:39 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Peppermint
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 11:14 AM on May. 25, 2011