Pacifiers...

any moms not give their child a pacifier at all?
i'm planning on BF and they say to not the the baby a bottle or pacifier for a month,, so if they can go for a month without one they don't really need it.. correct?

what are your thoughts?

pipsqueak01

Asked by pipsqueak01 at 7:42 PM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• My thoughts on that are they pacify period, and of course they can do without, eventually they all give it up at one point.

Answer by older at 7:45 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My oldest son never wanted it. Not all children like/need a paci.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:48 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Every baby is different. I had one who desperately needed one day and night for the first year, but gave it up very easily at 15 months.
    The next one sucked her fingers from birth to age 2.
    The 3rd needed something but wouldn't take anything but the boob. Happily that ended by about 4 months.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:50 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I breastfed both my girls and neither would take a pacifier despite my many attempts. I am glad in the long run because it can be difficult to take away. Plus, too many parents never seem to take them away. It drives me crazy to see 2-4 year olds with pacifiers in their mouths.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 7:50 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I was a "by the book" mom. I made my husband and my child miserable at times with all of 'findings' in books etc. I say, if the child wants a paci and they are still very young. By all means, give them one. They are not young for long. I promise they will grow up and go to college whether they suck a paci or not. Don't make a huge deal out of something small. Just love them and relax.
    LakenLady

Answer by LakenLady at 7:53 PM on May. 23, 2011

• my two year old never took it, because he was on a ventilator for the first 2 months of his life.
    Amanda272011

Answer by Amanda272011 at 8:00 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My oldest had to have a paci. She had sleep apnea and the only thing that kept her breathing while sleeping was her paci. She gave it up on her own at 6 months. My youngest didn't want a paci, she was totally attached to my boob. I finally got her to take one and now regret it. She is going to be 2 at the end of July and I am having a hard time taking it away.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:00 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Mine had them from day one and I breast fed with no issues. Had there been an issue I would have held off... I used the Nuks. Both kids basically wanted nothing to do with them after about 2-3 months anyway...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:14 PM on May. 23, 2011

• i didnt give either of my kids a pacifier. i didnt want the issue of breaking them from it....
    Ronnies_Girl

Answer by Ronnies_Girl at 8:25 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Our peditrician helped us to get our dd off the paciffer at 12 - 13 months. I feel, if they don't have a bottle, they use a sippie cup - There is no need for a paciffer.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:48 PM on May. 23, 2011