Cakes

My 10 yr old son wants a skateboard style cake,its for his birthday but I'm not creative,and I don't know where to go to get one. Why do stores have such a limit on what they'll make. Most of theirs cakes are for the really really young kids.

MarGeee

Asked by MarGeee at 8:01 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I would look around for people in your area who make cakes. Usually at-home bakers have the freedom to be much creative than franchised stores.

For our wedding my DH wanted a University of Alabama cake. We bought the cake pan, and the caterer used it. That may be another idea.
    mrsjon

Answer by mrsjon at 8:04 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Find an actual bakery the you can buy the little toy finger skate boards and ramps to add to the top. Honestly you could do this yourself but a private bakery would be more than willing. It may be a little more detailed that way. Like airbrushed concert and graffiti and frosting grass.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:05 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I live in FL and my publix store had a pretty wide variety of cakes, can't remember if they had a skateboard. I googled it, and there were like 50 examples, I bet you could make a super easy one! have you tried calling a local bakery in your town? that might be more reasonable too. what about baskin robbins, they do ice cream cakes? good luck!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:09 PM on May. 23, 2011

• hmm I forgot about baskin robbins. I will call thema nd see what they say,if not I will try to make one!!!! I'm positive my daughter will help me!
    MarGeee

Comment by MarGeee (original poster) at 8:11 PM on May. 23, 2011

• any grocery store bakery can do one with a skate track and you can add toy skateboards, or if he wants a skateboard shaped one, it would be easy to bake a large rectangular and then make a template out of paper and cut around you can add real skate wheels and airbrush designs on it.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 8:31 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Sometimes housewives will post ads on bookoo.com for homemade cakes and diaper cakes and other misc items.
    noteven1nce

Answer by noteven1nce at 9:15 PM on May. 23, 2011

• If you want to make one homemade got to cakecentral.com. Tons of cake ideas there
    lucyloo1776

Answer by lucyloo1776 at 10:43 AM on May. 24, 2011