What can I do about a high temp?

ii took my son to the dr today he has an ear infection and is now running a fever of 103.0. What can I do to lower his temp? I am freaking out please help and tanks in advance for any helpful responses. already given him Tylenol and his age is 3 today.

countrymama87

Asked by countrymama87 at 8:12 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Give him children's tylenol and children's ibprophen and alternate them every four hours but honestly with a temp that high and at that age I'd take him to the emergency room. 103 can be dangerous at that age.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:16 PM on May. 23, 2011

• A Luke warm bath, strip him down to his skimpies and only a light sheet for a blanket.. Maybe let him have a popsicle or at least a cold drink.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:17 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I agree with the PP except I would not do the ER. Call his ped but I guarantee they will tell you that unless he is not coherent to just keep up the fever reducers.
    Anonymous

• I would try children's Ibuprofen/Advil and a lukewarm bath. I would call the pediatrician first thing in the morning also. I know it is scary and you can't help but worry. Just do your best. I will pray the temp goes down soon.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 8:21 PM on May. 23, 2011

• yes, do the tylenol and motrin alternate at the lowest time intervals on the box (tylenol is 4 hours, but the motrin is different). you can also give him lukewarm compresses and a lukewarm bath. he can drink pedialyte or whatever he wants to. i would not waste my time taking him to the er. you know the cause of the fever already, and 103 is not the 'danger zone'....that is over 104. don't take him to the er and wait forever just to get sent home again. gl and the tylenol/motrin route will help pretty quickly.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:24 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I would not lower it. Push fluids and let his body do what it is doing. Keep him drinking fluid, don't bundle, and watch for behavior. 103 is not something you need to be freaking out about. Let his body do its job, and you do yours by keeping him hydrated, loved on , and comfortable.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:48 PM on May. 23, 2011

• It's hard not to freak! But I'm staying strong. DH just left for a week so I am fighting this alone. He is comfortable and watching "Cars" the movie. Thank y'all for the advice. I pray he feels 100% in the a.m.
    countrymama87

Comment by countrymama87 (original poster) at 12:40 AM on May. 24, 2011

• hope he feels better soon!
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 4:25 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I'm hoping your 3 yr old is feeling better now! Mine just came down w/ an ear infection. :(
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:43 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Poor little guy, I hope he feels better soon!! kids pain meds for pain/fever, and push fluids- offer jello, chicken soup, popsicles as well. Mine also liked to play in the bathtub and that can help lower a fever. Also dress in lightweight clothes and don't bundle up. Cover with light blanket or sheet. When mine had ear infections and fevers I would try to keep them comfortable and have them rest. One thing we would do when they were sick is 'camp out' in the livingroom- they would spread their sleeping bags on the floor, lay down and watch their favorite dvd's or shows.
    Does your son have ear pain? If so get a warm, wet washcloth and put it on the ear. The warm moist heat does help. We did that with my boys when they had painful ear infections.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:09 AM on May. 24, 2011