My 13- almost 14 MO refuses to walk on his own, he has taken 6 steps alone, and he will RUN with his walk and push toys...

He isnt really talking, I mean he is doing the babble that all kids do, but my newphew is 7 MO older than him, running around, speaking full sentances and is pretty much potty trained, which surprises the heck outa me bc his mom doesnt ever deal with him bc she didnt want him, but I work with my DS all the time! Can that much realy change in 7 months?!

kgrine

Asked by kgrine at 8:18 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DS was 17 months and DD 18 month before they decided they could walk with out support. He will get there!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:20 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Don't worry about it! And don't compare him to others. Just because one child does something before another means nothing. By the time they are 3 they all even out. All of my kids walked by 14 months. Now they are star athletes.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:20 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Every child is different. It will happen.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:20 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Also kids develop at different rates. Your DS sounds like he is still in the 'normal' range of things and YES things do change a TON a in 7 months in the under 5 crowd.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:21 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Thanks for the reassurance, I just feel so helpless at times!
    kgrine

Comment by kgrine (original poster) at 8:21 PM on May. 23, 2011

• 14 months and not walking isn't that big a deal. Just keep up with the push toys. All kids learn and develop at different rates and don't compare your son to someone else's child. My little girl is almost three and can speak in full paragraphs but some other kids her age can barely string two words together. It doesn't mean that they're doing something wrong. It just means that their kid isn't quite there yet. Don't rush it. Take it from the mommy of a toddler. You spend the first two years teaching them how to walk and talk and the next sixteen telling them to sit down and shut up.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:24 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My mom has always told me that!
    kgrine

Comment by kgrine (original poster) at 8:26 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Your child will get there and I agree don't compare him to others we are all different.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 8:42 PM on May. 23, 2011

• The difference between the ages of 14 months and 21 months is HUGE! I am amazed at the difference between what my son could do when he was 18 months and how much he learned by the time he was 2. Your son is probably just taking his time, I wouldn't worry about it a bit.
    lisalmeyer86

Answer by lisalmeyer86 at 9:49 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Ahh you're fine. I didnt walk until 14 or 15 months. My mom swears it's because I was making sure I wasn't going to fall, because once I started I didn't really fall. My SO, on the other hand, refused to walk because I think he could just get to where he wanted to go quicker lol
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 8:19 AM on May. 24, 2011