My two year old son eats his poop, how can i stop this?

My two year old was just diagnosed with autism a few weeks ago and is severely delayed in speech, fine and motor skills. He functions at the age of a 12 month old. From the age of 1 yrs, when he has learned to reach into his diaper he has been eating his own poop. Recently it seems to happen a lot more often and we need to just keep watching bc his BM's are always irrregular. Is there something we can do to stop this, or any ideas to prevent this???

dannyboysmom09

Asked by dannyboysmom09 at 8:25 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would speak with his occupational theaprist (I assume he has one) and see what sort of ideas they can give you. I would also consider onsies and shorts 24/7! Yuck! I am sure this will pass!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:26 PM on May. 23, 2011

• how does he do it? unfasten his diaper....go in from the top or leg hole? if he's unfastening his diaper you could do what i do for my kids when they're babies and figure out that trick.....i put them in a onesie all the time. if he's going in from the leg hole i don't really have any suggestions other than keep him in pants or long shorts. i don't have any experience with autistic kids so i don't have any suggestions for discipline...sorry.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:30 PM on May. 23, 2011

• All he has been wearing is onesies and sleepers, the safest way is to keep a sleeper on 24/7, however it is getting warmer out, so that isnt a option anymore bc he overheats so quickly. Yes he goes from the leg holes. His OT had said it has to do with textures and sensory input, but we havent came up with a solution at this point.
    dannyboysmom09

Comment by dannyboysmom09 (original poster) at 8:34 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Idon't have any advice but I gave you a BUMP.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 8:36 PM on May. 23, 2011

• If it's textures and sensory input he's after, what about trying to channel his interest with other slimy, warm things? Maybe warm applesauce that he can eat with his fingers? Maybe smooched bananas?
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:24 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I agree with trying to redirect. Pudding finger painting or eatable play dough.  Try a social story with pictures followed by an appropriate activity  that is squishy.  

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:43 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Tape around the top and the legs of his diapers so it's tight against his skin. Not enough to squish him but enough so his hand won't fit in.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:51 PM on May. 25, 2011