I have started doing the cloth diapers and i was wondering how to get the smell out of them?

i wash them and i have used vineager on them!

lilae86

Asked by lilae86 at 8:29 PM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• run them through a wash cycle with just baking soda once they have been washed with laundry soap? Never used cloth diapers but it's just a suggestion. That's how I get the smell out of DH's sox. His smell terribly!
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:37 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My mother used cloth diapers with my older sister and she would bleach them and then wash them again because her skin was so sensitive. By the time I came along my mother was over it. It was a giant pain.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:37 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Razzle Dazzle is right, you need to use bleach and wash on the hottest setting with double rinse, then you rewash with Dreft, you can use cold water and shortest wash time for that cycle!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:40 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Um I don't think you should use bleech on them.
    First what kind of detergent are you using on them? You should use a natural detergent without fragrances and absolutely no fabric softner. And no fabric softner sheets in the dryer if you dry them. They actually seal in the smell and make them water repellent. If you find they are too stinky soak them in vinegar. I know you said you tried vinegar so I'm assuming you just added it to the wash, which I always did with my cloth every cycle.
    If you are worried about stains on the diapers then hang the out in the sun to dry. With dd's yellow poops the stains were awful and one day in the sun would wipe the stains right out, except with some of the inserts.
    If you have already used fabric softner or a scented detergent then they may be ruined. Talk to a cloth diaper provider. Good luck!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:21 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse on hot and then rinse again. Vinegar sometimes can cause the stink issue to get worse. IDK why, but it happens. Baking or washing soda can help and Amanda H had some good advice, but I don't think they would be ruined if you did wash them in regular detergent/fabric softener. I'm brought back some diapers every thought were long gone with just a tone of rinses. I use soap nuts in the wash too instead of regular detergent and it works wonders and i CD safe :) Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:28 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I had the same problem and tried vinegar, baking soda, dawn dish soap and nothing worked. I was finally told to do an overnight soak in RG detergent, then prewashed them in RG ammonia bouncer(aka Funk Rock) and then a normal wash in RG and an extra rinse. The smells were finally gone!

Now to keep the smellies away, I do a "prewash/quick wash/light load (whatever it says on your machine in Cold with the Funk Rock and then a normal wash on Hot with Classic Rock and an extra rinse.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 9:37 PM on May. 23, 2011

• OO good to know the funk rock worked! I've been thinking about giving it a try.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:28 PM on May. 23, 2011

• how much baking soda? where can i get a good deal on the funk rock? i use the bumgenuis cloth diaper detergent
    lilae86

Comment by lilae86 (original poster) at 7:37 PM on May. 24, 2011