Is my child ready for Kindergarten?

My dd will be 5 in June and is technically old enough to attend kindergarten in the fall but she is small for her age, verbally behind (due to enlarged tonsils which have been removed) but is super good at math and science. Indiana allows me to keep her out another year.

Imaginaryfriend

Asked by Imaginaryfriend at 8:39 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Can she write her name? Does she have a good understanding of letters? Know her colors and shapes? Can do simple math? Did you have a kindergarten screening? What did they say?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:41 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Our public schools offer speech therapy. If yours does, it could help her. My son started school at 3 due to having autism. He goes to a normal public school preK class and gets pulled out of class for speech and occupational therapies. Between his therapy and all his classmates being wonderful friends and cheering him on he has come a long way. He's talking a lot more now. =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 8:42 PM on May. 23, 2011

• There really is no such thing as "ready for kindergarten". Kindergarten is where kids will learn numbers, letters, sounds, shapes, social skills and many other things.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:44 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I would go ahead and enroll your child and make sure you are there to help her if she gets behind. And I'd try the speech therapy as well.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:46 PM on May. 23, 2011

• She can recognize letters, numbers, color, and shapes. She has some trouble writing but she is getting better. She can add and subtract using pennies. There is no kindergarten screening that I know of unless you are trying to enter them into kindergarten early.
    Imaginaryfriend

Comment by Imaginaryfriend (original poster) at 8:49 PM on May. 23, 2011

• well, what i did was i contacted the board of education in my school district and they sent me a package of materials that the kids were expected to know when they were entering kindergarten. it was basic shapes, colors, writing their name, identifying the letters of the alphabet and a couple of sight words. we also went for a tour of the school and met with the principal, guidance counselor and some of the teachers. i'm sure they would be more than happy to ease your mind and let you know if they think she is ready or not. as pp said they have programs especially for speech (i went to one when i was in elementary school....still have trouble with the 's' sound, but i'm much better than i was lol). gl and you have plenty of time to make a decision.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:49 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Not sure if your school does it, but when my son started kindergarten he took a mini-test. IT was more to see if he was "Kindergarten Ready" or not. They had him do some shape, color and number recognition. Checked to see if he could count to 10 and say his ABC's. For him it was a JOKE. He was reading the Magic Treehouse books all summer before he even started school.

He is now almost finished with 1st grade and will be entering the "gifted" program for 2nd grade.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:50 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Oh, and he had VERY minimal writing skills. He was completely and totally bored his kindergarten year.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:51 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My son had to be tested for kindergarten, and I would call my school to see what they do. It is a hard call because she will always be younger or older than her classmates. She sounds ready to me, and the school could be a huge benefit as far as the speech goes. Our district offered a pre-kindergarten program in the summer that lasted 3 weeks,, I would see if they have something like that, and perhaps it will give you a better idea if she is ready!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:53 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Yes my dd is more then ready has been for a while she is very bright & I have bee working at a lot of things with her. She is 4 now & goes in September.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 9:33 PM on May. 23, 2011