Do muslim celebrate birthdays or there kids birthday

i was just reading up on it and i found a few things saying they dont is this true of all muslims .
what about a baby 1st birthday ?
is it ok to send cards ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well the official stance on birthdays tends to be that they are not part of Islamic tradition and place an importance on a person that is not appropriate. Many scholars say it is acceptable to thank Allah for having given them another year to live though. It is not considered a major sin by any Muslims but some consider it shirk. I am a Muslim and I see celebrating a birthday as being somewhat cultural. I celebrate my own childrens birthdays but it's never a big party, I bake them a cake, sing them a song we invite family only, and I give them gifts. What is acceptable to a specific family will depend on how religious they are and what stance they take on birthday celebrations. Especially for a child it could be ok to send a card that says happy birthday but if your concerned about offending just ask the family first if you can send a card or not. With a card at least they could always choose to just throw it away.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 2:24 AM on May. 24, 2011

• My son has been invited to several friends' birthday parties given by Muslim parents. There was nothing unusual or different about them in any way.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 9:24 PM on May. 23, 2011

• The muslims I know celebrate.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:40 PM on May. 23, 2011

• this is the kinda stuff i'm finding

"Birthdays are not supposed to be celebrated by muslims as it is a pagan ritual!!Also celebrating birthdays means looking into astrological signs and believing that the planets effect people when they are born which is like associating partners with Allah.

And it is also not right to say that it is not a religious thing as muslims daily life is part of religion any action he/she takes which is not in accordance to the forbidden/allowed rules of Islam then he/she is answerable to the Creator on the day of judgement.

And the other thing is that some people unknowingly state that birthdays are forbidden to be celebrated because in it we are following the Christian which in itself is a misconception as the Christian and Jewish faiths did not celebrate birthdays at the beginning as they deem it to be a pagan ritual too!"
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:42 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I suggest going to a group like Religious Roundtable and asking, just because I'm not sure how many Muslims frequent the Q&A (I can think of a couple, but I don't know if we see them that often). There are a few in that group who I'm sure would answer it for you. Ultimately, though, it's probably something that comes down to personal interpretation, so one Muslim may believe it's okay and another may not. Without knowing the mother/family I'm not sure anyone could guarantee you 100%, if you get what I mean.

Best of luck, though! I read that poem from the other question (that was you, right?) and it was really great!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:54 PM on May. 23, 2011

• There are other Muslim specific groups who might allow you to join and ask, too, or you could ask the GO if you can ask the question in the group or if she can answer for you. I joined a Muslim group when I was familiarizing myself with Islam, and the GO was really nice about letting me be there even though I'm not Muslim, because I really do just want to learn and have no malicious intent, if you get what I mean. So maybe someone would be willing to help you! I just don't know if we get enough Muslimah traffic for you to get your answer here. All we non-Muslims can do is speculate or try to find some source online to help you....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:56 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Yes, we all do...
    Helen2004

Answer by Helen2004 at 1:32 AM on May. 24, 2011

• My family does the same as Cassandra's
    HeatUSA-Tunisia

Answer by HeatUSA-Tunisia at 5:53 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I am born ad raised a Muslim. We have always celebrated birthdays.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 12:17 AM on May. 28, 2011