Do people actually kneel before "buddha" and worship him?

Ugh I did NOT post this question to "inflame" others the first time so there was NO need to report it! I REALLY wanted to know!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, They THANK Buddha for his wisdom and teachings but Buddha is not a God nor is he recognized as one.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• So NO Buddhists do not WORSHIP Buddha but they do offer thanks and respect for his teachings.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• There are different types of worship. When someone worships a god, they praise him or her, making offerings and ask for favors, believing that the god will hear their praise, receive their offerings and answer their prayers. Buddhists do not indulge in this kind of worship. The other kind of worship is when we show respect to someone or something we admire. When a teacher walks into a room we stand up, when we meet a dignitary we shake hands,when the national anthem is played we salute. These are all gestures of respect and worship and indicate our admiration for persons and things. This is the type of worship Buddhist practice
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• First and foremost Buddhism is a philosophy, before it is a religion--and it can be practiced as just the philosophy, without the religion. Secondly, Buddha is not a diety, a Buddha is simlply a person that has achieved enligtenment, he isn't an object of worship.

Also--not relating to Buddhism specifically, kneeling before something IN worship doesn't mean you are worshiping the something.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 12:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I think If I remember correctly Buddhists do not beleive Buddha was God. think tehy try to model their lives afte rthe way he lived while striving to acheieve nirvana. Kneeling isnt necessarily a sign of worship. Its more so a sign or respect. People kneel before kings but it doesnt mean they are worshipping him and people go in to churches and DONT kneel but ARE worshiping God. If your really curious about it try doing a little research on the net on your own. That way yuo can form your own opinion based off facts rather than off someone elses opinion :) It is an interesting faith. Not for me but interesting none the less
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• As others here have said, Buddhists do not worship Buddha or see him as a deity.

When Buddhists are seen kneeling before a statue of the Buddha it's common to mistakenly think they're worshipping him. The Buddha actually discouraged people from worshipping him and it wasn't until several centuries after his death that any images of him were produced.

Certain rituals or practices were absorbed into Buddhism as it spread throughout the world and these practices can differ among various cultures. Usually when a Buddhist kneels before a statue of the Buddha they are meditating, or they might recite the five precepts which are basically the Buddhist code of ethics. But it's always done for purity of mind and without any motives for personal benefit.
    Feridust

Answer by Feridust at 4:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• When I bow to Buddha, it is not to worship him but to respect and thank him, just as I respect and thank all my teachers. I bow to anybody who helps me along my path. As others have said, Buddhists don't worship Buddha. Buddha is not a god. Buddha was just a man who achieved enlightenment, and then spent the rest of his life teaching others how to follow his path. When I sit in meditation beneath my shrine to Buddha every day, again it is not to worship him, but simply to remind myself of the path and how to follow it. There is a lot to be gained from ritual practice.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• No, Buddhists do not 'worship' the Buddha. He was not a deity- he was an enlightened man and a great teacher, but a man nonetheless. The confusion comes in when people see shrines to the Buddha or students kneeling/bowing before statues of the Buddha. This is not worship in the Christian sense, but a sign of respect or a form of meditation. Remember that in many parts of the world where Buddhism is predominant it is common form to bow before anyone who is considered an 'elder or better'- whether that is your boss, your grandmother, or the Buddha!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2008