What does back labor feel like?

I have never had it in the past, but I am 39+ weeks pregnant and I am having quite a bit of cramping in my back. I am wondering if this is standard back pain or something more.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:46 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had back labor w my second. At first I thought I was having really bad poop cramps (sorry). It started to get more and mote difficult to stand but I could not sit regularly. The only confortable position was to have my shoulder blades against a chair back, my hips and butt hovering and my feet on the floor. I didn't realize I was in labor until our babysitter showed up- Dd was born less than an hour later.

I'd say call the dr and let them know what's going on. Good luck to you!! Keep us posted if you have time:) congratulations!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:51 PM on May. 23, 2011

• If it is progressive and doesnt ease up with anything or gets worse then it prob is. If you are concerned then go to l n d and ask them to check you. I have heard of some ppl only having back pain and nothing else to show contractions and where in labor! GL sweetie!
    mom2wy

Answer by mom2wy at 8:52 PM on May. 23, 2011

• it feels like hell lol. like pp mentioned you won't be able to find a comfortable position, and when i was in labor i had the pain come in waves (contractions) that started in my back and then went around to the front. do you notice moments when the pain is more? you could try timing them and see if it's in any kind of pattern. you could try different positions and see if that relieves your pain...if you feel better it's probably just back pain. if nothing helps i would say call the ob and tell them how you feel. gl hun....i hope baby comes soon!

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:55 PM on May. 23, 2011

• For me it felt like my back was literally on fire. I couldn't sit, stand or walk and be comfortable. It was so painful that I begged for an epidural and since the nurse kept refusing (I'd originally said natural) my husband demanded that they give me one. It was about 20 times more painful than stomach contractions.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 8:58 PM on May. 23, 2011

• It doesn't seem to be coming in any pattern, but I can't get any relief from it. I just tried a hot bath and it did absolutely nothing, but I thought I couldn't get out on my own for a minute. LOL. It hurts more when she is moving, and I remember that increase of pain with movement when I was having "front labor" contractions with my other two.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 9:09 PM on May. 23, 2011

• That sounds like my back labor- in hindsight I am like "how could I not have known!!" but its hard to know:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:05 PM on May. 23, 2011