For breastfeeding moms - When did baby sleep more than 4 hours?

My baby has never slept more than 2 hours at a time at night on a regular basis.

There are the occasional 3 hour intervals at night, but it's more often once an hour or once every 2 hours that he wakes wanting to eat.

It's been like this from the beginning.

My baby is over 5 months old and exclusively breastfed.

Blue_Spiral

Asked by Blue_Spiral at 9:00 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• each baby is different. i have 3 babies i ebf (well with #1 i ebf only for 3 months, but the other two until 12 months). with #1 and #2 (two boys), they woke up every 2 hours like clockwork. when #2 was 6mo. he started sleeping 4 hours. with my third baby (a girl), she slept 4 hours since she was born and by 4 months she was sleeping 6 hours and before a year she was sleeping 12 hours. every kid is different, but they will sleep a little more once they start eating a meal in addition to nursing. so it's not forever lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:05 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I think it was around 4 mos or so with out son, but he didn't start to sleep thru the night til about a year old/ and now he sleeps like 10-12hrs at a time
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:12 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Am I correct in reading that you EBF until 12 months with your older two?? I want to wait until at least 9 months but it seems like NOBODY waits that long. I originally wanted to wait until 12 months but I think 9 is the earliest I want to go.
    Blue_Spiral

Comment by Blue_Spiral (original poster) at 9:12 PM on May. 23, 2011

• 10.5 months! O.o

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 1:56 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I just posted something similar. Mine is 10 months now and I only nurse 3 times a day (supplimenting with formula) and she has had solids since 4 mo. She only actually EATS 1 time during the night usually around 3 or 4 AM....but she still wakes every 2-3 hours. We went through a spell where she only woke at 12 and 4 then up by 7.....I felt like I was on vacation, LOL!!!! It seems the only thing that has worked for people is letting them cry....which I have a hard time doing...until they learn not to wake. Good luck! Getting no sleep is a killer and I am going on a year without any (more if you add the last months of pregnancy).
    siren77

Answer by siren77 at 9:32 AM on May. 24, 2011

• It really varies by the child! You can't count on a certain age. Mine was doing four hours intermittently by five months... but as you can see, all variations are normal.

My mom warned me that never getting eight straight again was part of the job description. As always... she was right! Even when THEY sleep longer... we don't!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:23 AM on May. 24, 2011

• By the way... letting them cry honestly only teaches them that you aren't going to pay them any mind. Doesn't teach them to sleep! Only developmental readiness gets them to sleep more.

I do think that motherhood is not for anyone who values sleep and peace of mind, since you rarely get to have EITHER! **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 11:24 AM on May. 24, 2011

• gdiamante, I am extremely ANTI-cry it out. We co-sleep, exclusively breastfeed, attachment parent, so you don't have to worry about me neglecting my kiddo's needs :) I think I've been handling motherhood really well, it's been a beautiful lesson in selflessness. I've wanted to be a mother my whole life and so I was prepared. My husband *never* gets up with him, and for those nights that he wakes up every SINGLE hour I start wondering when THAT'S going to stop, but I'm not complaining, just pushing through the tough times. He got his first two teeth at four months so that contributes too, and I think he might be teething again, so... I just wish we had an easier time laying down to nurse, I think my boobs are too big or something to do it comfortably.
    Blue_Spiral

Comment by Blue_Spiral (original poster) at 11:41 AM on May. 24, 2011