Crying maybe mental problems?

My step son is 2 1/2 when he was younger all he did was cry about anything. He got better before my son was born and then he was just terrible like picking up big toys and hitting his sisters in the head with it dumping out the trash just all sorts of things which I know he was jealous. Anyways he got better but the past few months all he does is cry. If he ask for a drink and I say ok 1 min he'll run off crying. If I tell him no about something he runs off crying. He cries almost nonstop. Anyone else been through this and what can I do?

yaffamommy

Asked by yaffamommy at 11:51 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• May just be a really awful stage he's going through. But if you think it could really be something bigger, you should talk to your husband about getting him "looked at" by whoever determines those psych. things...
    My b.i.l. cried A LOT when he was little, and it turned out he had a mild form of autism. If there is something wrong, like that, it's good to know so that you can start taking the steps you need to help him.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 12:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I have a 21/2 year old who did something similar when his brother (now 2 months) came home from the hospital. first he was bad and violent and then he started with the whining and crying all day long. I found that he was watching me and realized that I was giving the baby so much attention when he was crying that he started crying to get attention also. I tried involving my son in more activities that involved that baby, like bathing, diaper changes, rubbing his back. It seemed to really help to make him feel special. Also I tried not rushing to attend to the baby as soon as he made a peep to show my son that crying is not the only way to get attention from me. Now he comes and tells me when the baby is upset and even tries to play with him when he is sitting in his chair. His crying spells are alot less. I hope that helps
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• See he's really smart he knows all the abs, read his name, count foward and backward from 10, knows he's shapes and colors. My mom said my brother was the same way he was really smart as a toddler but always crying and he is autistic. I'm scared to mention it to my dh because he's not my real son and I think he would deny it even if the doc says thats what it is.
    yaffamommy

Answer by yaffamommy at 12:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I would say it is too soon to say that your step son is having "mental problems" but that doesn't mean that your step son isn't experiencing some sort of distress or responding to his environment. So a good conversation between his pediatrican and your husband, perhaps a pediatric therapist who specializes in play therapy, and including his mother in the interventions if that is possible. If you are worried he has a pervassive developmental disorder (autism) then your husband certainly can schedule an evaluation with an early interventionist. Your home should not be a place where you are always worried your stepson is going to be upset, so find out what is going on by asking professionals in your community.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• it just sounds like he needs attention.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:53 PM on Dec. 8, 2008