5 month olds and signing

So... everyone says he should be ready to start learning signs, but... I have my doubts.

I guess this is sort of an 'is it normal' question.

He doesn't speak yet, and he doesn't make any physical communication.

He won't wave, he won't reach his arms to be picked up, etc.

I have no signs of whether or not he understands, really. I get no response whatsoever to my words.

He is 5 months and 3 weeks, and he came 2 and a half weeks later than his EDD

Is this just his route of development, or, is it odd??

I hate to ask this and seem paranoid because I don't REALLY care even if he did develop slower than other kids, as long as I know I'm not inhibiting him and I'm pretty sure I'm doing all the normal stuff.

Anyway, thanks.

Blue_Spiral

Asked by Blue_Spiral at 9:10 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how does he let you know he wants something?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:12 PM on May. 23, 2011

• At 6 mths this sounds completely normal, I have never known a 6 mth old to speak, I am sure someone on her will say there child did, but if they do, thats unusual.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:13 PM on May. 23, 2011

• He fusses or cries if he wants something. He is finally to the stage where he can put things into his own mouth and he has started crawling, mostly backwards :)

There were a few moms in his birth month who said their children were saying several words and even sentence fragments and people said he could learn to sign now, so I started wondering.
    Blue_Spiral

Comment by Blue_Spiral (original poster) at 9:15 PM on May. 23, 2011

• i don't think alot of babies know many words at 5 months besides momma and dada. i did teach my son signs, but he was older than 5 months old....probably 8 months or 9. i would just do the sign everytime i gave him whatever it was and he did get it eventually. my first didn't really talk much to begin with. now i can't shut his trap lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:18 PM on May. 23, 2011

• you could have his pediatrician check his hearing to alleviate any concerns you might have...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 9:20 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Before I had kids I was going to be an ASL interpreter. I get this information from my classes: Children get the gross motor skills for signing around 8 months old. They don't really talk until they're around 2. To get him to make the connection between the hand moving and the food/drink he's getting you'll have to repeat repeat repeat.

From my doctor: If, every time he sees a dog, he points to the animal and says "ba" that is to be considered a word.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:26 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Well, I'm pretty sure his hearing is okay because he looks up when we talk and gets startled by loud noises and stuff...

I just heard that kids start waving and reaching to be picked up around this age.
    Blue_Spiral

Comment by Blue_Spiral (original poster) at 9:33 PM on May. 23, 2011