Referendum on Republican Medicare Plan? NY-26 Race Heats Up

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/republican-medicare-plan-referendum-ny-26-special-election/story?id=13629793

Democrats are gaining momentum in the special election in western New York to replace Republican Rep. Chris Lee, as a GOP plan to overhaul Medicare takes center stage in the surprisingly competitive race.
In a district that heavily leans Republican, and where only three Democrats have won in the last century, GOP candidate Jane Corwin is in a surprise, neck-and-neck race with Democratic Erie County official Kathy Hochul.

Do you think Rep. Paul Ryan's controversial budget plan will hurt the GOP in 2012?

Rnurse

Asked by Rnurse at 9:10 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• This election is tomorrow.
    Rnurse

Comment by Rnurse (original poster) at 9:15 PM on May. 23, 2011

• how bout we discuss it after the polls close?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:43 PM on May. 23, 2011

• No...by the time people begin to make up their minds, the Ryan plan will be thoroughly explored...something impossible to do with a Democrat plan since they do not have one. Love the voucher system for seniors if they choose it. Why should a person be forced to accept Medicare at 65 when they have and can afford perfectly good health insurance? That is absurd for those of us that can afford to pay our own premiums. The 65 option should be for those that cannot afford insurance premiums for health care.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 9:55 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Hw nice that you can afford your own insurance. That is rare for seniors who are retired and living off social security and a retirement fund. Medicare is essential unless you would like to see millions of seniot citizens going without basic medical care---not even a yearly checkup.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:07 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I don't want Medicare myself. My inlaws don't use it and they don't collect their SS either. We need to be able to let those that can and will fend for themselves do it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:07 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Oops..hit send too soon.

Medicare & SS is failing we no longer have an option...we have to do something or the upcoming generations will have nothing...despite their contributions. Hard career ending decisions will have to be made...I don't see any Democrats even willing to think about falling on their swords.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:09 PM on May. 23, 2011

• You dont have to have Medicare. My retired Senior aged dad doesn't. And yes, Paul Rysn and his crazy plan is already hurting the GOP. he went to his one district here to try and defend his plan and was boo'd, loudly, by his own constituents.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 10:51 PM on May. 23, 2011

Answer by Kitkat61277 24 minutes ago

--------------------------------------------
    Does your Dad have his own private insurance? My inlaws had their own insurance and it was so expensive. I don't know how anyone can pay for their own insurance unless they are quite wealthy. Or...maybe they don't have insurance and just don't go to a Doctor at all ?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:18 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My parents and my in-laws had gap insurance. You don't have to be 'wealthy' to have gap insurance.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:00 AM on May. 24, 2011

• . he went to his one district here to try and defend his plan and was boo'd, loudly, by his own constituents
    ----
    I'd like to see a link or newsbit that shows where Ryan was boo'ed. Until then, I call BS on this statement.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:45 AM on May. 24, 2011