What do I do about my fearful child?

My 2 year old is going through a fearful phase and he is scared of everything..the wind, the rain, spiders even the timer on my oven. It is keeping him from falling asleep without me going in and out of his room for an hour or more and he wakes in the middle of the night. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get through this or maybe ways to alleviate his fears.?

missv66

Asked by missv66 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hmmmmm kids get affraid at times but usually not everything-and especially not everything at once! If it continues I would call his pediatrician-he may have a sensory disorder! But then again he could just be in a phase-good luck!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Have you tried using white noise at nap/bed time? That may help him to relax and fall asleep while blocking out houshold noises.

As for the timer on the oven, maybe practice putting it on while he's awake. Tell him that you're setting the timer and that it's going to buzz in a minute.

Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Make sure he is not watching a childrens program that might be a little scary.
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 2:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• my son was never scared of anything until a couple months ago now when he goes to bed he starts screaming for me and when i go in he pats his toddler bed and says mommy nap (thats what he calls bedtime) so i lay down with him and he says mommy look rawr and points out the window and i said whats out there baby and he says mommy monser (lol cute) i tell him there is no such things as monsters and that everything outside is his friend. i stay in there and sing to him for a while and he falls asleep. other times if he is in a room alone during the day he will come running out saying monster or ghost.....he doesnt watch any scary movies or anything...he is 27 months. i was also wondering how to stop this and what is wrong.
    proudmama_2boys

Answer by proudmama_2boys at 9:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2008