Who are more evil?

Seeing some of these posts has me wondering - which gender is more typically the evil stepparent in a relationship. There's this stereotype that leans towards evil stepmothers, and I'm thinking this is true, but what are stepdads stereotypically like? Does it really matter the gender, or is it simply about being a stepparent? I'm a single mom, hoping to get remarried someday (although not dating, not looking at the moment), and to be quite honest the thought of a stepparent having some of these feelings towards their stepchildren scares the living crap out of me.

Ginger0104

Asked by Ginger0104 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Relationships

• Women are more catty I think and they see "the other mother" whether it be step or bio as competition. My husband was really good with my son but, he adopted him so, he isn't a step parents anymore. Its also how the step child is allowed to treat the stepparent, if they get it in their head that they don't have to listen to the SP because they are not mom or dad then the SP will harbor ill feelings toward the step child. If bioparent is talking bad about SP then the child will disrespect the SP. It all about mutual respect, if you teach your son to respect your husband and make it known that you will not allow disrespect then there won't be problems. But, you also have to make your child NCP understand that they can't disrespect the SP around the child in anyway.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• It is not who is more evil I think both are evil but don't mean to be they are scared that the children are going to ruin the relationship, so they become defensive and in doing this make it happen or get known as the evil step parent.
    lynne3325

Answer by lynne3325 at 12:04 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I think it happens just about as often with both genders. Just take it slow when you do find a man and make sure that his good intentions with your kids aren't just for show. Don't let it keep you from dating or marrying.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My husband loves my other kids, he does nice stuff for them, they have fun. They all say they like him. Maybe not "love" him but they like him. If there was any animosity with them I have to admit I would not have married him.
    Anonymous

• my husband is the step parent and he took the role over as dad better then i expected. my boys have yet to say he is evil. you might get lucky like me who finds someone that doesn't have baggage like an ex and kids. although with my ex the new mother seems to favor her own kids and totally seems to disrespect my boys my other ex isn't dating anyone. so i guess i would have the say that the mom would the evil one.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• mmmm I don't have a lot of experience in this feild but if I had to guess I would say step moms are more evil. It takes a mature, loving, and kind man to marry a woman who already has a child. If the childs mother stand to her convictions that her babies come first she is not likely to end up with a deuche bag of a step father. Most "evil" step dads would run at the first sight of raising a child who didnt belong to them. Right? maybe I'm wrong that's my rationalization
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My mother was with my father for 15 years, they got divorced when i was 13, she dated and got remarried after 2 years. It lasted for all of 5 months because he was abusive toward her and he sexually molested me. She still doesnt know what he did to me because i wanted her to be happy so i handled him myself. He raised his hand to me a couple of times but my dad wouldve killed him if i came to his house with a black eye.....but it goes both ways for step parents, there are peverted stepfathers and selfish stepmothers who want all the father's attention and money. Whats sad is there are worse stories then mine about young girls.....just be careful.
    collegemom1007

Answer by collegemom1007 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2008