A question for all the people who think Harold Camping should give the money back...

If he should he give the money back, then why is it okay for other churches to keep collecting money from their followers?

Is it just because the promises/predictions of other religious groups have yet to be shown to be false, as Camping's was?

If he honestly believed what he believed, then why is he any worse than any other living religious leader?

I'm not trying to defend him by any means... I'm just trying to understand the double standard here.

Eek_a_Geek

Asked by Eek_a_Geek at 9:38 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Religious Debate

• When a man does it, it's criminal. When an institution does it, it's tithing.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 9:40 PM on May. 23, 2011

• *Most* churches use the money collected to pay the bills for the church. That includes the money for the building, power, water, upkeep, any salaries that may be paid, etc.

Camping just collected money for himself. If he chooses to keep it, there is no comparison.

Can you really not see the difference?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:03 AM on May. 24, 2011

• unfortunately stupidity does not warrant a refund.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:46 PM on May. 23, 2011

• b/c churches collect money to pay bills on the building, utilities, ppl's salaries. churches are communities of ppl...not a lone man. the money i give to my church goes back to benefit me & the rest of the congregation. most ppl dont give money to get into heaven or b/c they think the end of the world is coming some day.

why did this guy collect money? was he asking for money or did ppl just give it to him? if he was truly sorry than he wouldnt want to continue to hurt ppl by living off their "donations". its the best way to prove he wasnt trying to scam ppl.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:07 PM on May. 23, 2011

• As Dave Ramsey would say, they paid their stupid tax.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 10:55 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My parish doesn't collect donations in order to make money. My parish collects money to feed and house homeless shelters, sponsor wells to be dug in Africa, send college kids to Appalachia to build homes, provide finacial support to a community in Jamacia, and promote greener living in our parishoners and community - in addition to maintaining the buildings and paying the staff. I've got no trouble giving my parish money in order for those activities to be funded.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:48 AM on May. 24, 2011

• If someone decides to give their money to something that is not 100% real, then that is their own choice. I could not give money to a "thought" ....but everyone is different.
    Anonymous

• Of course you are not trying to defend him-
    You are trying to lump all religions into the "con" group-
    Pretty typical behavior from someone with such a narrow view-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:55 AM on May. 24, 2011

• He made multiple millions off of two incorrect predictions. If he had an ounce of moral integrity, he'd admit he was mistaken (i/o blaiming it on Satan) and give the majority of the money back, donate it to a worthy cause, or something besides keeping it for himself. He may not be legally obligated to, but morally, yes. He was proven wrong. Twice.

If he keeps the money, he's opening himself to lawsuits for fraud.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:40 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Well I don't agree with these Mega churches that hoard money either. There is one here that brings in millions. The "church" is basically a convention center that would rival any sports stadium, complete with jumbotron. I went in once for a program they were putting on, i was given tickets so i went. If you don't tithe, you don't stay a member. Period. They even push you to leave your estate to them in your will, putting ads in the paper for that. Anywho, my church has about 60-100 regular attending members. The money we collect goes to pay the bills, upkeep the grounds and church, which is done for free by our members, they just buy supplies. And save money for future repairs, renovations needed, new carpet or whatever the case may be. My dad is the pastor and he doesn't get paid. They collect once a month for him, and he gives it back to the church. sorry, i got off track lol. They gave willingly, but it's not right.
    Anonymous