Am I a bad parent for not giving my child..

a cell phone, a Gameboy, a DS? My oldest 10 now got a cell phone from her father about 1 and 1/2 years ago after she decided she wanted to go see her grandmother and ran away from home taking her then 6 year old sister with her. I said that it was stupid for her to have it seeing as the area we live in does not get good service at all even on my cell phone, and seeing as I have a home she had plenty of ways to call them if I thought she needed to. So after telling her that she was not to give the # to anyone at all, she decided to give it to a boy at school.She is 9 she should not even have a stupid phone or be giving #'s to any boys at school!! So that year she got a DS for Christmas from her father and now I am considered mean because I will not let her bring it home. So they were asked what they wanted for Christmas and they both said they wanted a DS or a Gameboy for here. NO!! WE ONLY HAVE A WII, GC, AND PS2. Am I mean???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• WHAT NO YOUR NOT MOST PARENTS SPOIL THERE CHILDREN WAY TOO MUCH THEY DO NOT NEED ALL THAT MOST CHILDREN ARE TRYING TO GROW UP TO FAST IT'S CRAZY MY 9 YR OLD WANTS A CELL PHONE I TOLD HER NO WAY WHAT FOR I TOLD HER MAYBE WHEN YOU ARE 13 THEN WE CAN TALK ABOUT IT ! IF THEY WANT A EXPENSIVE GIFT TELL THEM THAT IS THE ONLY GIFT YOU WILL GET I THINK THEY WOULD CHANGE THERE MIND LOL ! IT MAKES YOU A BETTER PARENT TO STAND UP AND SAY NO WAY !!!

Anonymous

• no. my ex gave my daughter a PS3 last yr. Its at his house & that is where it will stay. I dont want it here. Your house; your rules. you cant stop him from buying stuff but you can stop it from being in your home if you so desire.
    Anonymous

• Nope..Kids now days have to much crap like that. 4real what does a 10 year old need with a cell phone. Not bashing,I just don't get it. My dd is 10,and my ds is 8,also wanting a cell phone. I agree with you.
    Anonymous

• I would take the cell phone away, period. She broke YOUR rule about it's use. Period. I swear my children are going to be geeks...like I was!!! LOL They will NOT be getting video game systems or cell phones until they are at least teenagers...not because I am "mean" or we can't afford it, it's because they do not NEED those things! I grew up just fine without a cell phone or video games. Instead, I was given a sports equipment, went to summer camp, played group/family board games, etc. As a SAHM, there will never be a need for my children to have to have their OWN cell phone. I will always be available to pick up/drop off. When my kids start WORKING, then, maybe they can have video games and cell phones, until then...they'll survive!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• We won't get our 14 YO a cell phone because we honestly don't think he needs it. DH and I never had them growing up and yet, we survived! Besides, if he had a cell phone he could TELL me he's wherever he's supposed to be even if he's somewhere else. This way, he only goes where he's allowed to because he KNOWS I'll be calling the landline to check! :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 3:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My theory is if you pay the bills, you make the rules.And when kids are grown and they make their own way in life, they can make their own rules.That's what I tell mine.You do what you think is best for them.And one day(when their toddler is on the ground kicking and screaming) your kids will appreciate you and all you did.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 4:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I think that you needs to talk to your daughters father and let him know how you feel. It's kind of unfair if the dad asks his daughter what she would like for Christmas and she tells him for mom to only say NO. Discuss with your daughters what a good gift would be for your house. I hope your daughter does not start to feel that the only reason why MOM says NO is because it's from dad. I would have your girls write a christmas list check off items you want to buy them cross out items you do not approve of and send dad a copy. This way dad can get the girls something on their christmas list.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 8:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2008