My daugther is 40 weeks pregant and her uterus is still think and has not thinned, they are going to put her in the hospital and insert some type of medication to try and thin the uterus and then the next day indue labor? Please tell me abou this procedure and any complications. I am so nervous.

Just need to know what comlications there could be and is this a normal procedure?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• its ok - this is the procedure that they did with me, its a thin strip of paper they put up against your cervix to induce labor and soften cervix. i went in at 4:30 pm on monday and started delivery on tuesday at 6pm and delivered at 7:12 pm on tuesday.
    good luck - it will be fine - congrats!
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 2:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Hi, I had this procedure done with my daughter. They inserted several pill looking things called Cytotec (not sure if the spelling is correct) I went in at 7am in the morning.... and was released to go home, then went back at 5pm and had another batch inserted- Which finally set me into labor. I was in heavy labor, but not dialating. I would recommend a birthing ball to sit and relax on.. thats what helped me.
    Xtina66

Answer by Xtina66 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• It's the cervix that is still thick and they want to thin out not the uterus. What the Dr will do is place either cytotec or cervadil af=gainst her cervix, it contains a hormone that is meant to thin the cervix, if this doesn't put her into labor then they will induce her but administering pitocin which will make her uterus contract and hold a steady rythm so the contractions are effective. Pitocin is known for inducing very strong contractions right away. It's a bit more painful this way because rather then the contractions slowly building the way her body would normally contract it's strong contractions right from the start. But all in all in the end you end up with a nice sweet plump little baby. It'll be okay.
    misty1_sd

Answer by misty1_sd at 10:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• My SIL had this done with her last two kids. But hers was like a gel and it was supposed to take about 12 hours. Then the next morning they were going to start her on petocin again. She ended up going into labor at 2 a.m. without the petocin. It's pretty normal, no big deal. You'll soon be holding your new grandbaby!
    minivanmommy

Answer by minivanmommy at 1:55 AM on Jul. 12, 2008