Should I clean her belly button out? (Umbilical cord question)

Hi I'm new here and just had my daughter 2 weeks ago. Her umbilical cord stump fell off a few minutes ago and theres yellow gunk in there. Do I clean this gunk out or leave it alone? I grabbed a q-tip and dipped it in water and cleaned around her belly button but do I clean the gunk inside of it out too? Or leave it alone? I'm a first time mom and not sure what to do. :/

AdelinasMama

Asked by AdelinasMama at 10:15 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can gently wipe it with the qtip, do not dig in there, just lightly wipe it good luck :)
    hismommy6509

Answer by hismommy6509 at 10:18 PM on May. 23, 2011

• So I don't need to dig in there to get that stuff out? Will it dry on its own and come out eventually?
    AdelinasMama

Comment by AdelinasMama (original poster) at 10:19 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Your Pediatrician should have told you all about that, Call him and talk to him or a nurse, whoever,at the Doctor's office. It is hard to picture what you mean.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:19 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Yes clean it out. It can get infected if left alone. Use a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Also when you give her a bath, make sure to wrap the wash cloth around your finger and wash it the best you can. My middle son's belly button was like what you described and the doc told us not to be gentle. He said that they are tougher than they look and you really should wipe it pretty hard. I was worried about it, but he assured us everything was fine.
    Keep an eye on it though, if it gets really red and inflamed, or he gets a fever, take him to the doc. Sometimes they have to cauterize the belly button if it won't heal.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:19 PM on May. 23, 2011

• well wipe it off....i wiped all my kids with alchohol swabs until it dried and looked like normal skin. that's what they told me to do at the hospital (and the pediatrician)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:20 PM on May. 23, 2011

• All I ever did was drip alcohol into it to dry it up. And that's literally ALL I did and DD was fine.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 10:48 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I have four babies and between each of them, the "rule" for umbilical care changed. My opinion is to use an alcohol pad and clean it. The crusting is normal and just needs to be removed. Alcohol keeps the area clean and helps it to dry out.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 11:06 PM on May. 23, 2011

• U don't really need to use a rag to wash it... Just use a qtiP with a little bit of rubbing alcohol to clean it and get it to dry up.... watch it and make sure that it doesn't get red or anything of that sort...
    LovingLife90

Answer by LovingLife90 at 1:30 AM on May. 24, 2011

• the same thing happened to my son. dr said it was still a small piece of cord that was in there. she used silver nitrate (i believe) to help it along and we continued to use alcohol wipes, which worked great :)
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 2:05 PM on May. 24, 2011