Do you spank your children? Why or why not?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 10:36 PM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• not usually...they have to do something very dangerous to get a spanking. why? because i find time out is much more effective than spanking for routine things.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:37 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Not now because they are 27 and 23 and that would severely hurt my hand! LOL! But, yes, I did when they were little. Not many times, but just a few.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:38 PM on May. 23, 2011

• No. I just believe in talking, being an example rather then a do as I say not as I do type of parent. And if you don't want your children to hit people than why hit them.
    I talk to my daughter, take things away, ground her, and she knows chores are the only way to earn things around here!
    Besides that we have her watch real life tv like predator raw.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 10:40 PM on May. 23, 2011

• If they're cutting out of line and nothing else is working, yes I have and will spank. They're now 4 and 7 so the spanking and gone WAY down in the past year. I almost never have to spank now.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:45 PM on May. 23, 2011

• No and because I use better ways to teach, correct, and guide.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:00 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Never and never will. If the infraction is considered "spankable" by spanking mothers, I feel that the child either does not have the capability to control himself, or is being willfully disobedient and needs his behavior corrected. I personally don't feel that spanking is ever warranted or effective in the long term.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:02 PM on May. 23, 2011

• No, I don't spank. My parents always spanked me in anger and it had more to do with their rage than anything I did or didn't do. Quite honestly, I don't trust myself not to repeat that cycle so I decided before having kids that spanking would be off limits. And honestly, I've never really found that I needed it. We've always been consistant with other forms of discipline and they are good kids who really seldom get disciplined anyhow... when they do it's by taking away privileges and 'fun stuff' and we used time outs more when they were younger.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:12 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I have spanked each child just one time and after that all I ever had to do was give a stern look and tell them to change the behavior or they will get spanked, boom they change and they don't get spanked. I know they fear that smack on the butt and it is wrong in some peoples eyes but you know what they respect me and listen and that's better them walking all over me. my 19 yr old cannot believe how alot of others in her college are so rude and mean to their moms and what not and my guess is those girls never had their mothers fear instilled in them which there is nothing with
    Anonymous

• I only spank when he is really bad. I don't spank in anger. Breaking rules that could really harm him. Ie running out in front of cars, playing with snakes, (most where i live are dangerous). I usually do everything else first, time out, extra chores, talking to him about what he did wrong.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 11:28 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Sure I spank my 4 month old everyday. At nap time we nap together and at times he needs help to fall asleep so he lays on my chest and I pat his bottom. For some reason it comforts him and he falls asleep within ten minutes. I rarely had to give my daughter a swat on her bottom she mostly listened when I sat her down to talk about what she did and explain the things that could happen if she did whatever. Like hitting someone makes them sad or playing with an electric socket or near a stove could hurt her. I did tell her that if she ran towards the road or other equally dangerous things then she would get a spanking and well she never did that stuff. So I am hoping and you never can tell but I hope my son grows up to be as easy to talk to as his big sister.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 11:30 PM on May. 23, 2011