What can I do to get rid of morning glory vines

They were planted in one spot in the backyard. Now they are in random spots in the back yard, in the front yard and in my flower pots.

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 10:38 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I loved mine the first year and after that we have not had a good relationship! They have choked out many of my other plants. You must keep at it. When you see them sprouting up in other places, you need to pull them up. It will take a lot of time but one day you will win this battle. Just remember, don't plant them again! Those things are cute but deadly! They are like gremlins. tee hee
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:32 PM on May. 24, 2011

• honestly i have never been able to get rid of mine!! they were all along our back fence an we tore them down but when we did that the seeds fell an it just keeps coming back. they look nice an all but they go everywhere like you said!! i have no idea how to permanently get rid of them but just keep pulling it out everytime?
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 10:40 PM on May. 23, 2011

• yeah, just keep pulling them up. there's not much you can do that won't kill your other plants. if you want to get rid of the spot out back where they are planted, you can pull them up, then cover that spot with thick layers of newspaper and mulch on top of it. next year it will be ready to plant something different lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:42 PM on May. 23, 2011

• You have to kill them...pull them up, round up them, put newspaper and mulch on them, burn them? Keep birds from pooping out their seeds. They are a bad invasive weed.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:59 PM on May. 23, 2011

• You'll have to remove the roots. GL! I've heard they can be a gigantic pain in the.....
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:59 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I have never had this problem, so I have no idea.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 4:05 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Lots of luck!....you will need it. Morning glory, the one with the little white flowers, is a nasty weed. In my area, it seems unavoidable. When our backyard was landscaped, some of the topsoil that was brought in had bits of morning glory root in it. We can never seem to be free of it. It can strangle healthy plants -- killed our sour gum tree by strangling the roots. Most of my neighbors have a constant battle with it too.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 5:06 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Ah Good Luck!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 11:13 AM on May. 25, 2011